Appreciate

Bucky can hear the heavy, hurried footsteps approaching now, sees John arch a brow at her, looks annoyingly impressed with her (like he doesn't know she used to be the damn Winter Soldier) and she knows he can hear them, too. Bucky sends a hand signal to their backup, then John is following her out of their hiding place and the four Flags immediately skid to a halt. Both Bucky and John are sharing a smirk when the Flags turn to flee, but are just as immediately outnumbered by the armed cops surrounding them.

John steps forward, smirk widening as he (actually rather calmly) says, "'Mercy bears richer fruit than strict justice.'"

Bucky wants to scoff, but the shocked and pissed looks on all four of the Flags' faces is just too much for her not to enjoy with John. She holds up Karli's phone, almost grins, but instead smiles pleasantly when the Flags all glare at her. "I think I actually found an app I like. Thanks, guys. Appreciate you doing the work for me."

John cackles under his breath as she takes a step back and the cops then flood passed, rounding the defeated Flags up. They both enjoy the "fruits" of their work for a moment, just watching the Flags being handcuffed and then carted away. He turns to her then, claps her lightly on her metal shoulder and actually means it when he says, "Good job, Soldier."

Bucky wrinkles her nose - because it's so the opposite skin crawl to when he calls her that, rather than when Sam does. "That's Sargeant to you."

John scoffs, but is smirking slightly.

Bucky arches a brow as they turn and make their way back. "And Lincoln? Really?" Original, she thinks with an internal scoff of her own.

John shrugs. "Great man. Great quote."

Bucky scowls. "Not when you say it."

John scoffs again.

A few moments later, Bucky can hear Karli roaring for Sam to fight back, which is fine, because she's been hearing the same thing for the last few minutes. However, it's Sam's words that have her worried, even when he tells her not to...

×

"Buck, I gotta cut you off. Don't worry."

"Sam, wha-"

Sam needs to be here in the moment right now, needs to be here in whole to help this girl, or at least try to. He can feel with every hit to the shield, with every roar of anger and with all that pain in her eyes - like a certain someone else he's reminded of - that she's not even really fighting for anything anymore. He knows that every time she tries to get him to fight back, she really wants him to end this, to end her and Sam won't do that, won't give her what she wants.

"I SAID FIGHT BACK!" Karli screams, raises her fist for another punch.

"No!" Sam yells back again, puts on the thrusters and holds up the shield as he goes barging roughly straight into her. Her back hits a metal pillar hard, and she grunts, looks shocked and then quickly angered again, like she doesn't know what the fuck she wants, and Sam knows that's just as true as everything else that's happened. She presses back, and Sam presses harder, yells somewhat desperately at her. "Karli, stop!!"

"Stop me yourself!!" Karli roars back in his face, shoves the shield off her and grabs his shoulders instead. She launches them both up to the metal grating for ceiling above, smashes him into it before bringing him back down and slamming him just as hard to the concrete floor.

Sam grunts, shakes off the pain, quickly pulls himself to his feet, but Karli is already landing another punch to the shield as he holds it up just in time.

Karli growls in frustration, grabs the shield, easily tears it from his grasp, and sends a rather half-powered kick to his chest. "I said fight back!!!" She all but yelps as she watches him skid back.