7

When Aurora climbed the steps to the training ring the next morning, Azriel was already doing his own regime. He was practicing combat against an invisible partner, ducking and punching. Aurora was silent, stepping onto the red clay ground. She knew he could hear her, but he showed no sign as he continued his training.

"Start with stretches, then balance on the line with one leg outstretched behind you." Azriel didn't even glance her way as he spoke, walking to get water and a blade. Aurora did as she was told, unable to keep her mind from spinning. Had he agreed with Cassian? Did he truly believe he was babysitting her? Had he gone out last night and decided he was tired of treating her as a victim?

Aurora finished her stretches and began her balancing, removing her boots and letting her feet adjust on the line. When her leg extended behind her, she lost balance and fell forward with a grunt. She heard Azriel's boots still on the dirt and cringed. Aurora shoved herself off the ground and began to try again, but felt hands on her waist when she extended her foot.

"No," she gasped, pushing away from Azriel. She didn't want to be touched, not by a man. Not when she was still weak. Azriel stepped back, lifting his hands up.

"I'm sorry. I was going to help you position, I should've asked first. May I help you?" She swallowed with a shake of her head.

"No, just tell me, please." Slowly, Aurora returned to the white chalk line and placed her foot on it. With a sharp breath, she lifted her leg behind her.

"You're leaning forward too far. Try and straighten your back. If it helps, arch your back so that your head and foot are parallel," Azriel explained in a low voice, hands shoved in his pocket. Aurora felt like an idiot as she arched her back, instantly feeling the trembling in her floored foot stop. "Okay, not straighten your leg. Your knee is bent and it will be easy to lose balance again. If you hold this for a minute, we will try the other foot."

Aurora did as she was told, holding her breath as she straightened her leg. She wiggled a bit more before regaining her balance. Her thigh burned as she held the pose, it felt like an hour before Azriel indicated that she could stand normal again.

"Try your other leg now. It may take a moment to find your balance again," Azriel instructed, shifting his stance so he was closer to her face as she bent and lifted her right leg. Her balance did not come. Aurora yelped as she began to fall again, but hands caught her shoulders as her other foot was planted into the ground. The hands were gone as quickly as they had touched her, but Aurora shivered at the touch.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want you to fall. Try again," Azriel motioned his hands and then shoved it back into his pocket. Aurora glanced at him before repeated the motion, this time finding her balance quicker. Thigh burning, she held the pose until he told her to stop.

Their training lasted three hours this time, Azriel continuously shifting between instructing her and working on his own practice. He announced that their time was up and Aurora didn't spare him a glance as she hurried down the stairs and to her room. She sat in silence on the floor in front of her bed, red knees pulled to her chest. His touch made her want to fight him, and she was able to shove him away. Aurora wondered if she'd be able to do that in a situation where the male wouldn't step away when told to.

Tears pricked her eyes, throat tightening. She wished she could allow his touch, enjoy it even. She remembered how Nesta had clung to Cassian's arm, not for safety or comfort, but in a loving gesture. How Rhys's hand rested on Feyre's knee whenever they were sat beside each other. Could she stomach a touch as gentle as that? Could she even stomach when she and Azriel would begin hand to hand combat?

In silence and solemn, she cried. She allowed herself to cry. Aurora didn't do it often, too afraid the soldiers would hear her in her prison and taunt her. She felt safe in this temporary room of hers, in the light.