34

"No!" Elain shot out of her chair, fuming. Rhysand stood as well.

"Elain! Do you realize we have Winter Court soldiers that would do anything to get her back in captivity? It is a threat to this Court! What if they mention her to Beron? This is necessary, Elain. Once that rush of feelings is finished, they may not have an interest in continuing anything," he snapped. Elain gritted her teeth, looking down at Aurora, who slowly rose from her chair.

"I hope that they take you. I hope you're sent back to that damned cell and I hope those soldiers take their turns nice and slow," she snarled before leaving the room. Aurora cleared her throat. Feyre stood and quickly followed behind her.

"Aurora, it will all be okay. If you'd prefer to do this private, we can wait outside of the room to ensure nothing comes about it," Rhysand said softly. Aurora nodded, eyes lowering to Azriel. His head was down and his hands closed in fists. She didn't look away as everyone began standing and walking, and when silence consumed them, Azriel looked up. He looked exhausted.

"Do you really want to do this? I'm sure Kallias would let me kill them just to get it over with," he rasped. Aurora swallowed, grabbing the toast from her plate.

"I'm fine, if you are," Aurora whispered. Azriel looked towards the door as his tongue ran along the inside of his cheek.

"I want this, but if you don't, please let us find another way." Aurora walked around the table where he sat, and he stood from his seat. Her eyes soaked in the sight of him. His wings spread, shadows hanging around his head and shoulders. His eyes looked dull and glazed.

"I'm okay with this, Azriel. If it's what I can do to help protect this Court, I will do it."

His nostrils flared as he looked down at her. She felt the pull then. Aurora felt the whispers of his name along her skin, the ache in her chest, the warming in her stomach. She saw the way it affected him, too; his lips parted and the tensing between his brows lessened slightly. Aurora rose up on her toes, her hand reaching for the scruff that grew along his jaw. Azriel's lashes fluttered and a content sigh left his lips when her palm rested on his face.

"Aurora-."

"I accept you as my mate, Az. With everything in me, I accept you as my mate. It will take time for me to truly accept it, but for now, I understand and I accept you," Aurora murmured. It felt incredibly stupid to settle this with a piece of toast, but she extended it to his hand anyway. Azriel's fingers twitched before he took the piece of food. His eyes didn't leave hers as he lifted it to his lips and took a small bite. Her eyes fell to those lips.

"Aurora, I don't know how well I can handle this," he spoke, and his voice sent chills throughout her. The way his voice had carried to her before was like a caress to her skin, but now it felt as if he had been saying those words with his teeth on her. She exhaled lightly, flicking her eyes to his.

"I know," she whispered. It took everything in her to pull her hand from his face, but Azriel caught her wrist. Aurora's eyes widened slightly but he cut off her thoughts by pressing his lips to hers. The taste of wine and whiskey remained on his tongue, the way she smelled it on his breath days earlier. It was the morning, could he be drunk already?

Her hand rose to his cheek again as his hand fell to her waist. Azriel kissed her deeply. She wanted this, but she didn't. Everything in Aurora's body was screaming how incredibly right this was, but her mind broke the rush of lust by telling her she needed to control herself. Aurora parted their lips, sucking in a breath.

"I'm sorry," she murmured. Azriel shook his head lightly.

"Don't be. I don't want the way the bond attracts us to push you past your boundaries. I swear to you, I will do my best to stay away from you, Aurora. Damn it, I'll have Cass and Rhys tie me up if need be. Please, don't move too fast with this just because of the lust you feel. I don't think I could forgive myself if I took you to bed before you were truly ready."