24

They flew for an hour before Cassian suggested they return to the mountain. It was too far to fly back to Velaris before sunrise, and Aurora decided she wanted to search for Eris. She didn't tell Cassian her plan, but she knew he'd get destructed long enough for her to slip away at some point.

They touched down at the mouth of the cave. Aurora shoved out of Cassian's arms and began to walk into the darkness. Her heart leapt in her chest, fear crawling on her skin. She hated that smell of dirt, the darkness that swallowed her. She didn't believe there would ever be a day she'd truly be comfortable in the dark. She denied candles in her room at the estate, but the clear night skies always kept it light within. This darkness, however, was gruesome. The depth, the feeling of hopelessness. She felt as if she'd be shaken awake by a Winter Court soldier to 'play' at any moment.

"Are you upset with me?" Cassian called behind her, sword drawn. Aurora glanced over her shoulder and only then realized that she was practically jogging. She slowed, but kept glancing back towards him. She could hardly make out his figure in the dark but his siphons indicated his location.

"Yes, Cassian. I'm upset with everyone," she snapped. He quickened his steps to catch up with her, boots pounding on the stone floor.

"Why?" He asked, sheathing his sword.

"I don't want to get into it right now, there are bigger things at hand."

Cassian remained quiet, to her surprise. They continued their path until they reached the spot Rhysand had winnowed them to. Aurora looked around, noting the staircases carved into the walls and slightly darker spots along the corridors that overlooked the place they stood. Then, she looked forward and saw the fae lights that seemed to stretch further into the darkness. Aurora turned to Cassian, who was looking down at the staircase that led to the chamber Lucien was held in. In a swift movement, she grabbed a stone from beneath her feet and chucked it into the abyss. It clattered and echoed, and they both stiffened.

"What was that?" Cassian asked, pulling his sword out and pointing it in the direction of the sound. Aurora nearly grinned at how gullible he was; an Illyrian general fooled by a rock.

"I don't know, do you think Eris let Lucien out?" She asked in a feigned frightened voice. Her question had Cassian already descending.

"Come on," he called out, but she stood and watched him be swallowed by darkness. She felt guilty for tricking him, knowing he was already on edge, but she knew he'd stop her if she continued with her plan. Aurora pulled the dagger from her thigh and broke into a sprint toward the street that the fae lights led her down. Trying to steady her breath, she ran and ran before another cavern opened wider and within was a city. The Hewn City in its glory. High Fae wandered the streets, buildings stretching out. It was not nearly the size of Velaris, but Aurora was shocked it could fit within the mountain.

She hurried down into the bustle of fae, eyes settling on a castle that stood at the end of the street. It didn't exactly stand, it had been carved into the cavern beautifully. Each building was a carving in the stone, stretching far above her eye sight. Aurora shook her head, moving her focus back to the castle. She broke out in a sprint again, shoving past High Fae and ignoring the cursing and shouts that followed her. Smells hit her with every footstep; alcohol, smoke, herbs, and dirt. She hated the smell of dirt.

Her legs were exhausted when she reached the massive black gates. They, too, had been beautifully carved. Massive scaled beasts were scattered on the black material, between them being vines and flowers.

"Who are you?" Aurora's eyes fell from the gates to massive soldiers. Their bodies clad in dark amour, much more elaborate and protective than the leathers the Illyrian's wore. They had helmets of the same material, metal horns welded to the tops of them. They looked as sharp as the swords in their hands.