80

After being bombarded with questions, slapped on the back by Cassian, and coddled by Azriel, Aurora was grateful to be back in her room for a moment. Everyone was still exhausted from the amount they had drank the night before, so most of them went back to their rooms to sleep after breakfast. Aurora sighed as Azriel closed the door, turning around and wrapping her arms around his neck. He dipped down and kissed her softly.

"Are you alright?" He asked, his thumb sweeping over her cheek. Aurora nodded and tugged him down for another kiss.

"I'm just tired, I think," she said, immediately followed by a yawn. Azriel chuckled.

"I imagine you are. Let's go lay down, then," he offered. Aurora gratefully took that offer and followed him to the bed. Azriel kicked off his boots and sat on the edge. Aurora climbed onto the bed and plopped down on her stomach, sighing loudly. Azriel gave her a soft smile and laid on his side, his large hand going to her back and running along her spine. Aurora smiled up at him, eyes falling closed. They laid like that a while, quiet as Aurora soaked in his gentle touches.

"I'm glad I found you," Azriel whispered after a long moment. Aurora opened one eye, reaching out to tug him closer. She turned onto her back, slipping beneath his body.

"I am, too," she whispered back, smiling as he leaned down a pressed a slow kiss to her lips.

"I'm so incredibly serious, Aurora. I'd be lost without you. I don't remember what my life was like before you joined me, and I don't want to. You've brought so much light into my world."

Aurora couldn't help her smile that grew wider, her hand resting on his jaw. Her thumb drew circles in the scruff on his cheek.

"I think you can imagine how much better my life has gotten. I have you, love, a family, and friends. I never imagined a life like this back then, I didn't think I deserved it. I wished for it, everyday, but I didn't think I'd ever get something like this," Aurora whispered back, swallowing the lump that formed in her throat. Azriel seemed to notice because he kissed her again, deeply. His hand slid behind her head and tangled in the hair there.

"Do you know the reason I never searched for my mate? Why I always held back from relationships?" Azriel murmured against her lips. Aurora shook her head. "I grew up thinking that I deserved nothing. I was raised to believe I was nothing more than another body to feed. Even when Cass and Rhys reminded me everyday that I am just as great as them, I never let myself believe it. I saw you in that room, that abyss, and I felt something. All I knew was that I needed you out of there and to know that you were safe. When you looked at me the first time you saw me, in the House of Wind, that feeling grew stronger.

"When we trained, the feeling of your skin on mine drove me mad. I knew there was something about you that couldn't keep me away. I knew you were my mate the day we brought Lucien to meet you. The way he looked at you and me, it triggered something. I couldn't stand not being there to protect you, and that's why I pushed myself into every day of your life there. When you accepted the bond, even if it wasn't what you wanted at the time, I truly believed I had no other reason to live than to love you."

Aurora glanced between his eyes, brushing her thumb over his cheek. She believed him with every fiber of her being, because she felt the same way. A day without Azriel seemed impossible, and not a moment went by where she didn't want his skin on hers. She couldn't even fathom not breathing the same air as him.

"I love you. I love you more than I thought possible," she squeaked, brushing her lips against his. Azriel inhaled deeply, his eyes falling shut. "I don't believe I would've lived another day if you hadn't brought me here. You helped me grow in every way."