38

Dinner was strange. Aurora focused on the wine that somehow kept refilling in her glass. Rhysand, Mor, Kallias, and Viviane spoke the most. Cassian added a few words in, but he was as silent as Azriel and Aurora. Azriel was watching her reach for her fourth glass and placed his hand over hers. Aurora furrowed her brows as she looked at him. He gave away nothing as he reached for a glass of water and placed it in front of her. Aurora rolled her eyes and began sipping on the water.

"So, Aurora, I wanted to speak to you privately but I'm sure Rhysand will be having you all leave pretty early. I wanted to apologize for the things you went through in my Court. If I had known, you would've been taken from that room centuries ago. I'm glad to see you got some revenge today," Kallias spoke up. Aurora met his icy gaze.

"I understand that you didn't know, I can't hold that against you, but I won't say it's alright. It isn't," she responded, leaning back in her chair. Kallias gave her a nod.

"I'm also glad that you've found your mate in a way that Rhysand and I have. It is not an ancient plot to have children, but a chance at love. It's rare, and I'm happy to see that those who deserve it are finding it," he continued. Aurora tensed slightly, looking over at Azriel. He was looking at her already, his thumb gliding over her hand.

"As am I. I never thought I would experience love," Aurora murmured, turning back to Kallias. It was true, she never believed it, and something in her knew that Azriel loved her, and she knew she loved him. The only thing that frightened her was that she would have to go back to normal when they returned to the Night Court. She didn't want to take away Elain's happiness. Even if it meant to give away her own.

"Well, this dinner has been lovely, but I'm sure you're all exhausted. Please, join us for drinks if you wish, otherwise, we will see you again when you return," Viviane spoke up, rising from her seat. Aurora looked down to see the plates and glasses were no longer on the table.

"Thank you for inviting us. We will be going home as the sun rises," Rhysand told them as he stood. The rest of them followed in suit. Mor joined Viviane and went to the sitting room for drinks, but the rest of them trudged to the stairs. Rhysand slipped into his room with a warm wish of a good night, and Cassian stopped Azriel before he could enter his and Aurora's room. Aurora continued into the room, not caring to hear what Cassian had to say. She closed the door and sighed.

After thinking of Azriel's relationship with Elain, she wasn't sure she was willing to even lay with him tonight. It felt entirely disrespectful. Aurora kicked off her boots and sat on the edge of the large bed. Could they just pretend tonight? Pretend that there was no one who could stop them? Everything in her body screamed for Azriel at every moment, and she wanted to allow herself a taste of him. She knew he wanted it, too. But was it love? Or was it the incessant call of the bond? How long would these feelings last?

Aurora laid back, the fur on the blanket tickling the side of her face as she turned to the door. She was surprised how willing she was to submit to the desire she felt for Azriel, especially being here. The beginning of her trauma, facing the males that were just the start of it. She had killed her brother today, and all she could think of was her bare body against Azriel's.

The door clicked open and Az slid in. The moonlight casted upon him, he looked like a creature written in stories. His hazel eyes seemed to glow golden as he stood in the shadows. His wings were lifted, spread. Aurora slowly sat up, folding her hands in her lap as he walked near her.

"Do you want me to sleep on the floor tonight?" He asked in a low voice, standing just in front of her. Aurora shook her head.

"No. Unless you'd prefer, if it settles your mind about Elain." Azriel scoffed, shoving his hands into the pockets of his trousers.