11

Aurora's stomach was in her throat. Azriel brought them high up above the House before soaring down to the city. She squeezed her eyes shut, settling for the blind dread rather than seeing the ground hurtling towards her. She shoved her face into his neck, fingers desperately gripping his shoulders. Azriel rose again, and then the wind fell away into the sounds of chattering and footsteps. Slowly, Aurora peeled her face back, inhaling deeply. It was meant to replace the breath she was holding, but the scent of spice and cedar filled her nose. She suddenly became very aware of her grip on Azriel and pulled back. He took the hint and lowered her feet to the ground. Her legs trembled as she took a step back, smoothing her dress.

Aurora looked over to see Cassian and Nesta saying goodbye. Well, not saying anything. Their lips were molded together with Cassian's hand laid across her jaw. Aurora audibly gasped, turning to look at Azriel. He grinned at her, lifting his hand to correct the loose hairs from her braid that had twisted to the top of her head.

"Alright, Cassian and I are heading to Rita's, you two find us when you're ready to go back to the House," Azriel spoke as he nudged Cassian. Aurora watched as Cassian grinned against Nesta's lips, his thumb running along her skin before pulling away. He shot Azriel a wink as he turned and the two began heading down the street. Aurora looked at Nesta, whose braided crown had loose hairs peeking out and cheeks were crimson.

"Okay, do you want a drink first or the bookstore?" She asked, hands climbing to her head to smooth the wild hairs.

"Uh, the bookstore?" Aurora suggested. Nesta nodded, waving her hand in the direction of the shop. Aurora followed silently, her eyes trailing along the buildings surrounding them. Some were painted bright colors, others older and made of rust-toned bricks. The sun was warm and lit the faces of those that walked around them. Aurora kept her eyes low, not wanting to make contact with the strangers around her but still studying them. Not many sent her a look, more so just stared at Nesta. Aurora didn't blame them, she looked like the epitome of power and beauty.

"Here we are," Nesta announced, turning to a building nestled between two larger ones. Aurora followed quickly, slipping through the door. The smell of parchment and coffee filled her nose, a hum escaping her throat. "I enjoy these books mainly, but they have all kinds. Do- Did you ever read?" Nesta asked when they reached a shelf of romance novels. Aurora shook her head.

"I didn't get the chance often. I read as a child, but once I was, um, captive, I wasn't given books," Aurora explained. Nesta nodded, her face showing small signs of pity.

"Do you enjoy romance? Particularly, sexual romance?" Nesta asked, catching Aurora off-guard. She wasn't expecting such a blunt question. Her eyes widened as she looked at a now grinning Nesta. "The books I read have smut, some are lighter, some have heavy sexual acts. I know I've met you only once, but I get the idea that you are a romantic. Do you think about love often?"

"Not love. I guess, I imagine what it would be like to be touched without being afraid," Aurora responded with a vicious flush on her cheeks. Nesta smiled wider. Her hand rose to a hard backed book and grabbed it, flipping through a few pages before holding it out to Aurora. She took it slowly, studying the cover.

"This is one of Gwyn's favorites. It's about a female who has never felt love before, and a male swoops into her life and teaches her about love, care, and towards the middle, he teaches her of sexual acts. It is light, but still has some smut," Nesta explained, a small laugh hidden behind the final words. The blush on Aurora's cheeks was still flared as she met Nesta's eyes. She wasn't aware of books that held that kind of information.

"I'll take it. Could I get another just in case the sexual acts are too uncomfortable?" Aurora asked quietly, eyes moving to the shelf beside them. Nesta nodded, snatching another book.