19

Aurora didn't join the rest of the group for meals in the next few days. She had yet to leave her room, despite the numerous knocks or calls of her name. She didn't go for training, but would stretch and do abdomen and leg workouts to her best ability in her room. When Aurora would wake in the mornings, a jug of water and a plate of breads and cheeses were on her nightstand. She guessed it was from the kindness of Feyre.

The night was falling quickly, and Aurora was sat on a bench along the large window, a book in her lap and the sun already hidden behind the mountains. The view wasn't the same, she liked to see the city from above. A knock came from the door, and Aurora only looked towards it, she made no effort to allow whomever it was in. A second knock, a loud sigh. Her body felt too heavy to walk over to the door, to even move from the bench to her bed.

"Aurora?" It was Cassian. She didn't speak, she hadn't in three days. Her gut twisted with the fear that Nesta loomed with him. When the door handle began to twist, Aurora closed her book and straightened. Cassian's massive frame slipped between the door and the frame before shutting it behind him, his eyes trailing over her. She didn't say anything, just tucked her knees closer and stared. "Have you eaten?"

She gave him a nod. His eyes fell over the empty plate beside her bed, the half empty jug of water. "Aurora, I hope you understand that Nesta didn't mean what she said. She considers Gwyn a sister and feels protective over her, that's why she reacted that way. She knows it was wrong," Cassian spoke softly, stepping towards her. Aurora turned back to the window, hoping he would leave her alone. Solidarity was bliss in these days.

"Damn it, Aurora. Rhysand did not bring you here to punish you, so stop acting like this is a prison," Cassian snapped, drawing her attention back to him. Her back stiffened, eyes falling into a glare.

"I am being placed in a different house as a consequence to my actions. I am in a house with a High Lord that scolds me like a child, a female that calls me a whore for the one and first sexual act done to my body as my choice. Feyre is the only one that doesn't treat me like some kind of burden. If it is such a risk having me in this Court, then let me go to the Autumn Court and fight for my life. Let me die with the knowledge that I was something more than a punching bag and fuck toy for bored and gruesome soldiers!" Aurora shouted, her feet now planting onto the floor as she stood. Cassian stared at her, his throat bobbing and eyes darting between hers in search for a response.

"I don't know what to say. I cannot excuse the actions of others, but I can tell you that as soon as you step foot across the Autumn Court borders, Eris and his brothers will kill you. They're far more advanced with their magic and training," Cassian explained, crossing his arms. Aurora's nostrils flared, her glare sharpening.

"If my true brothers choose to kill me, then I will die in the glory of my own choices. That's all I ever wanted, I want to choose things for myself, but I still have yet to be allowed that luxury by the High Lord that claims to want to help!"

Cassian stepped forward, his jaw tight. "Do not speak against my High Lord. He is helping you, he is allowing you to live happily in his Court even if it risks his family and people! You want to fight for your life in the Autumn Court? Stop fucking wasting away in this room and actually do something!" His voice rose with a vicious tone, but Aurora did not back down. She stepped closer to him.

"You want me to do something? Will it be my choice?" Aurora snapped. Cassian rose a brow, lifting his chin.

"It will."

"Then I'd like to speak to Lucien. Is he still in the Hewn City?" Aurora asked with confidence, her head raised to meet his gaze. Cassian snorted.

"With a promise of free will, you want to speak to the traitor? He's going to die, you know? Azriel plans to kill him as soon as Tamlin voices his disinterest," Cassian mused, his brow lifting with half of his mouth. She wanted to smack the smirk from his face.