46

Aurora had sheathed her weapons and dragged the dead male down the stairs. She brought him to the base of the staircase and met eyes with the guards that stood at the front door. Firelight flickered around them in torches, the guards drawing their swords when they saw the blood on Aurora, the same blood that dripped down the stairs and pooled beneath their fallen comrade.

"Sheath your fucking swords and get your High Lord and Eris. The duel begins now," she ordered, voice booming off the walls around her. The two guards hesitated, their swords still raised. "Now!" Aurora boomed. The flames in the torches rose and heat filled the room. The guards did as they were told, sliding past her and rushing up the stairs. She was panting as she looked down at the dead body. This guard had no reason to die for anything more than a message. He was her message to the Autumn Court, a promise that she will not go peacefully.

The stomping of boots perked Aurora's ears and she looked up at the banister to see Eris rushing down the stairs. To no surprise, he was dressed in his fighting clothes, similar to the guard's clothing, a sword strapped to his hip. Eris's eyes widened when he saw the guard splayed on the floor.

"What the fuck did you do?" He roared, drawing his sword. Aurora didn't flinch, nor grab her own sword. She just glared at him.

"You promised me peace, then sent a guard to murder me in my sleep. Put that sword down, Eris. We're dueling tonight, now. I want Beron to watch," she snapped. Eris clenched his jaw as he shoved his sword into the leather hold. His eyes fell back to the guard.

He stayed silent as the sound of Beron approached. Aurora lifted her eyes to the banister. Four guards followed him and a lovely looking female. The female looked so much like Lucien, it made Aurora's stomach twist.

"What is going on?" Beron boomed, rushing down the stairs. Aurora stepped back, giving him more of a view of the dead guard.

"Eris underestimated me, he sent a guard to slaughter me in my sleep. I demand the duel begins now, or I leave this Court and let you two figure it out on your own. I ask no claim to the throne, I only ask to avenge myself against my brother," Aurora explained, hard eyes settling on Eris.

"Very well then, let us go to the ring," Beron huffed. He and who Aurora guessed was the Lady of the Autumn Court began through the entry way and to a far corridor. Aurora waited for Eris to start moving and then followed him. Anger simmered in her body, fire threatening to escape. Beron led them all to a large door that had a chilled breeze seeping through. When he opened it, goosebumps rose on Aurora's skin. The Autumn Court held warmth and cold in the same light. They all made their way outside and Beron sent flames to large torches that circled a small ring.

They were to duel to the death in a fighting ring that was a quarter of the size as the Night Court's? Aurora felt the flames rise further within her. Eris kept his hand on the hilt of his sword as they neared it. Beron opened a gate of what looked to be razor wire, allowing them to enter. Aurora glanced at the wire and back to Beron, his wide grin answering her mental question. Eris walked to the far end, unsheathing his sword and getting into his position. Aurora stood opposite of him, copying his stance. Her breath heaved in her chest as she tried to prepare herself. It would be her first duel, the first to the death.

"As always, magic is encouraged. The most powerful wins, death is not necessary. Begin," Beron boomed. Aurora let out a slow breath as her eyes narrowed on Eris. She watched the heel of his right foot dig into the ground, and knew he was going to lunge. He did, tip of the blade swinging across his chest then down. Aurora ducked, swinging her sword into his back. The tip sliced his side and he growled. She could feel his rage.

Aurora kept herself as calm as possible, keeping her flame level until she needed it. Eris lunged again, a shout ripping through his chest as he swung down. Aurora blocked his blow with her own sword, shoving it off to the side. Aurora jabbed, twisting when he sent the blade through the air again.