37

Rhysand's room was the first to be stopped at. He gave everyone a look before closing the door. Mor walked herself to her room, which was next to Rhysand's. Cassian was two doors down from her, and then Adaine stopped at another door just across the hall.

"Here is your room for tonight," she bowed before beginning down the corridor. Aurora opened her mouth to ask if there was another room for herself, but Azriel looped a hand around her waist and leaned down.

"They believe we are happily mates, we can't act like we hate each other."

Aurora sighed, pushing open the door and walking in without him. It was beautiful, she couldn't deny it. A massive four poster bed was against the wall near them, grey and silver sheets spread across it. A garment bag was laid on top of the sheets. A large window ran along the next wall, allowing sunlight to fill the room. The wall on either side of the window was entirely book shelves and a long bench ran below it. The next wall had a desk with a lamp and a wooden door that led to a bathing chamber. Aurora set for that immediately. She closed the door behind her, sighing loudly as her back hit it.

Now she had to share a room with Azriel, thé mate she was afraid to accept and all of those feelings were still rushing through her body. Would she even be able to sleep tonight? Biting her lip, Aurora dropped her coat to the floor, kicked her boots off, and turned the hot water on. She reached behind herself to undo her dress, but Azriel knocked on the door.

"Yes?" She asked, hands pausing as she turned. The door opened slowly, and Azriel slipped in, his shirt vanished and trousers undone.

"I'd like to bathe as well," he murmured. Aurora looked down at the tub. It was large, but was it enough space?

"Could you use Cassian's?" She asked as her arms fell to her sides. Azriel looked over her as he closed the door softly.

"He's using it right now," he answered. Aurora felt her stomach twist at the thought of being nude around him. Madja is the only other person to see her scars, how would he react? How would she react to being so close to him while nude? Was this a ruse to let the emotions of the bond win? Why was she not opposed?

"You can bathe with me, just wait until I say it's alright to look," she said softly. Azriel swallowed harshly, turning and facing the door. Her fingers trembled as she returned them to the laced strands of fabric, tugging on them. The dress hung loose and then fell to the floor in a pool of fabric. Cold air burned her hot skin. Aurora watched Azriel's wings as she leaned down and tugged off her stockings and socks.

She kept an eye towards him as she poured the pine scented soap into the water. When the suds rose and was enough of a coverage, she stepped in. Goosebumps rose on her skin at the sudden heat. Aurora sat along the far edge of the tub, using her hands to collect a hill of bubbles along her chest until they grazed her chin.

"Alright," she hummed. Azriel turned slowly, and when his hands went to his trousers, she turned her eyes to the window that was to her left. The water sloshed and she felt the level rise, and then his legs slid on either side of hers. Aurora gasped at the contact, her eyes flashing to his. Azriel's head was hung low, his eyes peeking at her through the lashes. She didn't see his shadows, but she felt them. Aurora felt the chill along her neck and face, the whisper of promises. She swallowed and reached out of the tub to the small table that ran along it to grab a small washcloth.

"Can you hand me one?" Azriel asked softly. Aurora hummed as she grabbed a second one and reached out to him. His arm didn't meet hers, and with a sigh, she leaned forward to hand it to him. Azriel's eyes narrowed on her shoulder. "Is that from him?"

Aurora looked down to see the end of the scar on her shoulder, the part that stretched over and down her arm. She slunk back in the water. "It is."

Azriel didn't respond, just continued to stare at the area her shoulder sat beneath the suds. Aurora let out a low shaking breath and began to run the cloth along her skin. Azriel copied her motions. They sat in silence, only the sound of water sloshing was heard. Aurora slid further down into the tub, eyes closing as she cleaned her skin. The stench of burning flesh still ate at her, no matter how clean she was.