25

As Aurora was dragged from within the mountain, her body hung in Tamlin's grip. Lucien walked silently behind them, watching the female that was limp in Tamlin's arm. He held her like a rolled up rug, tucked under one arm. Aurora's breathing was shallow, all magic and strength torn from her. Faebane ran through her blood, the same blood that continued to pour from her shoulder and thigh. She didn't know how long they had been walking, her eyes could hardly stay open. She had fought the entire way through the Hewn City and the cavern system, but by the time they had gotten outside, her body was nothing more than bone and skin.

"Will we camp soon?" Lucien asked, coming up beside Tamlin. Aurora lifted her head as much as she could, hooded eyes looking at the brother that could've been. He didn't spare her a glance- no, Lucien looked as if he forced himself to keep his eyes on Tamlin.

"We will in the next hour. I needed us to get further from the mountain. I'm sure that the winged bastard is conscious and running to find Rhysand," Tamlin responded, voice gruff. Aurora's head hung again. She blinked slowly as she watched Tamlin's boots crunch the forest floor. It would be a beautiful night, given the circumstances. The forest was silent and lit by starlight. The sounds of the river trickling not far was heard.

"We cannot light a fire, but we will need shelter to camouflage from eyes," Lucien continued. His voice sounded weak, and Aurora remembered when that same voice told her what would happen when Tamlin caught her, what he wanted as well. A tear fell from her eye. She didn't know they were even pooling until she watched it hit the ground with blurred vision.

"We will figure it out when I decide we stop," Tamlin snapped. His arm tightened on Aurora and she wheezed. The toes of her boots had to have been sanded down by now, the way her feet drug against the forest floor. Lucien remained quiet as they continued through the trees. When Tamlin decided it was time to camp, the sun was beginning to rise. He dropped Aurora to the ground, and a strained shout left her lips as the arrows dig deeper through her body at the pressure. She rolled onto her back.

"Leave her. Help me make cover," Tamlin ordered, and Lucien hurried from beside her to the trees. Aurora just laid there as she listened to the sound of branches snapping and pine needles running across the ground. Her eyes were set on the stars above the trees, something in her wishing she could stretch out to them. The view didn't last long as bark from a tree was placed above her, resting on logs that Tamlin had shoved into the ground. Pine needles fell through onto her face as Lucien spread them across the top to imitate the ground.

"That'll be fine for now. Rest, we will begin moving again soon," Tamlin ordered, and Aurora turned her head to see Lucien sat leaning against a tree stump, crossing his arms as he watched her. Tamlin laid on the ground nearest her, and Aurora fought the urge to vomit again. She needed to get these arrows out and create some type of tourniquet. She needed to get away. She rolled onto her side, thankful that the arrows were both on one side of her body so that she could lay facing Tamlin. She wanted to watch him throughout the stop, ensure he made no move near her. Not that she could do anything about it, her body was far too weak to even stand.

Her eyes stayed peeled, glancing between Lucien and Tamlin. They burned with exhaustion, but she couldn't sleep, not around them. Lucien had fallen asleep quickly, his head turning and leaning toward his shoulder. Tamlin's breath hadn't changed since he had laid down. His face wasn't in her view, but she knew his breaths had not slowed or deepened. With the one arm that wasn't as in quite as much pain as the one with an arrow, Aurora lifted herself to her elbow. Her head rushed with blood and she grew dizzy, but she lifted it to see Tamlin staring at her. Her breath hitched, and body tensed. A smile grew on his face. He was laying on his back, both arms bent beneath his head, which was turned towards her.