70

"What?"

Gwyn had stopped crying, breath escaping her lungs as she stared at Aurora. Aurora stood from her seat, wiping her sweaty hands off on her pants. Her pulse was racing. Maybe she wasn't alright with it, but the gesture may make Gwyn feel better about the situation.

"Come with me and we can ask him if he will touch you," Aurora said, trying to keep her voice calm. She didn't want it to shake, she couldn't let it. Gwyn swallowed hard as she stood as well.

"Are you serious?" Aurora nodded and began walking to the stairs. If she was questioned any further, she'd fall back on her plan. Gwyn's soft footsteps were heard behind her. Aurora did her best not to stumble or tremble as she led Gwyn to her bedroom, where Azriel surely was. She lifted her chin, letting her eyes fall shut for a moment. Everything was telling her that this was a mistake, that it would hurt to hear Azriel's answer. Would he want that? Possibly in the way that Nesta and Cassian had Aurora, together. Aurora cringed at the thought of watching Gwyn be touched by her mate.

Her mind had been far too preoccupied because the next moment, Aurora and Gwyn were at the door. She sighed shakily, cursing herself before opening the door. Azriel was laid on his side, sleeping soundly with a pillow tucked into his arms. His shadows seemed to be resting, too. Aurora walked over to the bed, glancing over her shoulder to see Gwyn shutting the bedroom door.

"Az," Aurora whispered as she brushed his hair from his brow. He groaned, squeezing his eyes shut. Aurora leaned down and pressed a lingering kiss to his temple. "Azriel," she said again. This time, one eye opened slowly. They didn't lift to Aurora, they settled on Gwyn just behind her. His brows furrowed and he turned his head to look up at Aurora.

"What's going on?" He asked, voice laced with sleep. Aurora felt guilty for waking him up when it was so early in the morning. She willed the candle beside the bed to light, flame lifting from the wick. Azriel sat up at that. The blanket fell to his waist and Aurora knew he was nude beneath it, the guilt rose further.

"We have a question for you," Aurora explained, lightly grimacing when her voice broke. Her eyes flicked to Gwyn, who was standing a few feet behind her, looking between them.

"Okay?" Azriel murmured. Aurora bit her lip and looked at Gwyn again. The sense of her being in the room was making it more difficult to speak to him.

"Gwyn had mentioned a lack of intimacy," Aurora began, and Azriel's eyes shot to hers. She swallowed before continuing. "And I thought, maybe, that you'd be willing to give that to her one more time?"

Azriel looked back to Gwyn, his throat bobbing. Aurora clenched her jaw, not sure what she hoped the answer would be. Her eyes burned, her throat was sore. All she wanted was for this to be over with.

"Is this true?" Azriel's voice was low, intimidating. Aurora thought back to how he had spoken to her earlier that day and her stomach twisted more. His eyes didn't leave Gwyn, so Aurora guessed that question was for her.

"It is, only if you and your mate are willing," Gwyn said breathlessly. Azriel nodded slowly, turning his head to look up at Aurora. She didn't meet his eyes, she couldn't. If she saw any sense of him agreeing, she wasn't sure how much longer she'd be standing. She watched his hand lift to her chin and she closed her eyes when his knuckle pressed into her skin and lifted her face.

"Aurora," he whispered. That's when she felt his shadows caress her, urge her to open her eyes. Her bottom lip caught between her teeth as those mental touches got to her. Aurora opened her eyes, those brilliant golden irises in view. He looked between her eyes, around her face, her lip that was surely bleeding now.

"No," Azriel said simply. Knuckle still to Aurora's chin, he turned his head to Gwyn. "I'm sorry that you don't find intimacy right now, but I will not touch you simply because you believe I'm the only one to give that to you." Aurora didn't look at Gwyn, she kept her eyes on her mate.