13

The following days were the same: Quick glances and combat training. Aurora had finished her book within the first couple days and had tried to read the other book, but it was too boring compared to the first. She wanted something as exciting as the first: Learning of sexual touches that were out of passion and love, not hate and aggression. She found herself dreaming of being held, kissed, touched.

Aurora was sat on the couch, flipping through the pages of her second book with boredom. She was in black Night Court attire, the design becoming her favorite amongst the clothes passed down to her. That morning, she was excited to realize the tightness in her leathers, how her body was growing along with her mind.

"Aurora?" Azriel's voice made her head snap up. He was in his black attire, hands shoved in his pockets.

"Yes?" She asked, closing her book. Her eyes caught his and her breath seemed to catch as well. He looked incredibly serious in a way that made her stomach clench.

"Aldric was spotted leaving Tamlin's estate. They seem like they're heading straight up north, to what Court, I don't know. If they do come to the Night Court, they'll run into the Hewn City first, which they'll be allowed to search. They cannot find Velaris. Mor is returning from the Winter Court in a few hours and has called a meeting amongst the Inner Circle, so we will be going down to the estate after she returns," Azriel explained. Aurora nodded, soaking in the information. Her brother was invited into Tamlin's estate for nearly a week, that's not good news at all.

"Did you hear anything he had to say?" Azriel shook his head, shifting on his feet.

"My spies were the ones to witness him leaving, I have yet to make it over there. I was going to wait until after our meeting, but I think I'll go for the few hours before." Azriel stretched out his wings, Aurora in awe of them for a moment before returning to the conversation.

"I think that's best, that way you could mention anything that you hear at the meeting. If you run late, I'm sure someone will come to get me," Aurora spoke, rising from her seat on the couch. Azriel's eyes flicked over her for a second, something she nearly didn't catch. He gave her a nod, and then was enveloped in shadows and darkness. Aurora sighed in his absence, tucking her book in her arm and heading for the library. She was interested to see if they had anything similar to the first novel Nesta had suggested.

The darkness of the stairwell made her stomach churn, but the continuous candles down the wall soothed that for the moments she bounded down the stairs. After spending time in the day-lit House and her candlelit room, the library felt uncomfortably dark, especially the further down the staircase she looked. Something seemed to loom in the depths of that darkness, something that whispered to her. With a shudder, Aurora ran her shoulder along the lit wall to keep far from the abyss as she entered the room of shelves. Her eyes were peeled for a priestess that could show her where the romance novels were, but every floor had them covering their faces beneath their hoods and ignoring her gaze.

On the fifth level, Aurora saw a familiar head of auburn hair, a blue gown and cloak. Her throat tightened, remembering the way that hair was fisted in Azriel's hands. The female turned, a kind smile on her face as she noticed Aurora.

"Hello! Aurora, right? Nesta has told me all about you," Gwyn, Aurora guessed, gleamed at her. Aurora was taken aback by her beauty, the smooth pale skin of her cheeks and the seemingly glowing blue eyes. Freckles spotted her fair skin, and Aurora wondered if she had the same freckles. She hadn't looked in the mirror in what felt like forever.

"Are you Gwyn?" Was all Aurora spoke, voice embarrassingly cracking. Gwyn nodded, holding her hand out. Aurora wondered how much of Azriel that hand had touched. She took it, shaking it gently before gasping as Gwyn tugged her into a hug.