72

Azriel wasn't convinced by Aurora's calm demeanor. He didn't go for the hand that she had reached out to him. Aurora sighed and let the hand fall to her side.

"It will be okay, you will be there, Cassian will be there, and Rhys will be there," Aurora continued to reason. Azriel looked up at Cassian, jaw tight.

"I will protect her," Cassian added, stepping beside Aurora again. She wanted to grimace, Aurora wanted to be her own protector, but at least with this, she'd be able to calm Azriel. Finally, he stepped toward her. Aurora kept her eyes on his as his hands slid to her face, lifting her chin.

"I vow to never let another person hurt you, Aurora. I don't know how much of Rhys's orders I can follow if Tamlin says something to you," he muttered. Aurora leaned into his touch, nearly forgetting Cassian was there at all.

"You've trained me, Azriel. Allow me to be my own savior this time. If something is said or done, I'd like to be the one to retaliate. Follow the High Lord's orders, as will I, but if things go wrong, I want it to be me."

Azriel didn't seem to like that idea, but he pressed a long kiss to her forehead and nodded slowly.

"You should be the warrior you've been trained to be. It's on your demand, Aurora," he whispered. Aurora's lips lifted into a gentle smile, her hand cupping his that rested on her cheek.

"Why would he keep this from us? If it has to do with the safety of Velaris and our family, why would he hide it?" Cassian chimed in. Azriel's hands slowly fell from Aurora's face as he looked up at Cass. Aurora kept her hand on his even when it fell between them.

"I think he didn't want to create panic. He may have wanted everything to be normal until the time came, just so that Aurora would not be afraid and I wouldn't... Well, so I wouldn't act the way that I did," Azriel thought aloud. Aurora was sure that is why, even Feyre kept it quiet. They wanted Feyre and Nyx to slip away unnoticed and for the panic to remain minimal. She could understand that, but she would've trained harder if she understood why she was doing it.

That's what they ended up doing. Cassian, Azriel, and Aurora went to the training ring and pushed themselves to make every move perfect. Aurora worked on her power only a couple hours longer before joining the males in working with swords and daggers. Rhysand joined them when the afternoon fell into evening. As night made its appearance, the four of them stumbled back to the house with sore limbs and the thirst for battle.

None of them bothered to clean up or change before joining the rest of the group at the dinner table. The meal was already served, and the four of them began divulging in the feast to soothe the ache in their bellies. Aurora had nearly devoured half her plate before realizing Mor, Nesta, and Elain were staring at them.

"What?" She asked after swallowing another bite.

"Why are you all sweaty and starving?" Mor asked, resting her chin on the back of her hand. Aurora glanced at Rhys, who was looking at Feyre. She knew they were having a mental conversation and that Rhysand lost whatever argument they were having because he cleared his throat and laid his utensils on his plate.

"We received word that Helion has learned of Lucien's death. He visited the Spring Court to speak with him, bond over a lost relationship, but Tamlin informed him that Azriel had killed him. Tamlin lied and said that we brutally attacked his estate, he did not mention Aurora's kidnapping. Helion will be here tomorrow at sunrise to discuss what had happened, and he will be bringing Tamlin."

"What?" Nesta snarled, her head whipping to Cassian. He leaned back in his seat and his eyes pleaded for Rhysand to continue.

"I expect it to be civil. Feyre and Nyx will be taken to the cabin tonight, I will return before Helion and Tamlin arrive. Aurora will be joining Azriel and Cassian and I in the meeting. If you wish to join, I ask that you wear your leathers and weapons, and prepare for anything to happen," Rhysand spoke on. Elain looked white in the face, Nesta and Mor looked furious.