51

"Does it matter if there's a conflict? You have a job in this Court, Azriel. You've been neglecting that job for the first time in centuries."

Azriel sat forward, his elbows rested on his knees.  The glare the two shared made Aurora sink back into the couch.

"I have done everything for you in those centuries. My loyalty lies entirely within this Court, to you. I've watched as you and Cassian found love, found your mates. It's finally my turn, Rhys. Let me have this. Finally, there's no upcoming war or battle, there's no immediate threats to the Court. Tell me where I need to send my spies and I will, but for now, I want to enjoy my time with Aurora."

Rhysand sat back in the chair, his fingers running against his face as he stared at Azriel. Aurora felt as if she had no point in sitting here, this was an argument between them.

"You haven't trained, you haven't done anything but drain my alcohol supply. Why? Why are you getting drunk and hiding away in a bedroom like Nesta used to do?" Rhysand asked with a still-cold tone. Azriel scoffed, his eyes flicking to the window and back to Rhys.

"I have rage building inside of me, Rhys. I want to kill anyone and anything right now. I'm about to set off, and hiding away, numbing myself with alcohol, is the only way I'm not ripping off heads," Azriel seethed. Rhysand nodded slowly, crossing his leg over the other with a shrug.

"Leave the Court." Azriel stilled, squinting at Rhys.

"Excuse me?"

"Leave this Court until you are ready to be my Spymaster again," Rhysand repeated. Azriel scoffed, standing from his seat. Night flickered from Rhys as a warning. Aurora felt the fear rise in her throat.

"What better is that than me staying in Aurora's room? What the fuck are you trying to say to me, Rhys?" Azriel shouted, his voice slamming against the walls around them. Aurora watched with wide eyes as his shadows rose around him, a wall of threat. Rhysand stood, too, and the mixture of their power was choking.

"I'm saying I want you to get the fuck out of Velaris until you can get a hold of yourself. You say you're on edge? Then you are a threat to my city. Take Aurora if you wish, but you are not of use to this Court when you're on the brink of falling apart. This mating bond is messing with you far too much to stay around my family. Do you know why you haven't seen Nyx since Aurora showed up? Because I don't want you around him when you're this close to exploding. So, Azriel, I'm telling you again, I want you out of my Court."

Azriel didn't respond, he didn't so much as give Rhysand another look before shadows devoured him. He was gone, and Aurora was left on the couch across from a furious High Lord. She felt his rage simmer, the suffocating power lessening.

"What do I do?" She whispered. Rhysand's eyes flicked to her.

"I can guarantee he is going to the cabin. He's in your room right now, go to him and you can go with him to the cabin. He's been brooding for centuries, I've never heard him speak as much as he has since you've arrived. Something about this bond has snapped him, and every single one of those emotions that have built together over the years is ready to erupt. All you can do is try and get them out, piss him off or fuck, I don't know. I just know that having you with him alone somewhere is better than him being in this city. I'm sorry you had to witness that, but even as my brother, he is falling apart and I can't have him do that here. I'm sorry, Aurora," Rhysand explained, his eyes lightening with the truth in his words.

Aurora nodded and stood. "I'll go with him. How do I know when he's ready to return?" Rhysand plucked something from his shirt and let it fall to the floor, a loud sigh leaving his lips.