26

TW: SA

Blood stained leaves. The already warm toned landscape was littered in Aurora's blood. In the cave, after Lucien had given her water and the males had fallen asleep, Aurora had tried to run again. She made it to the mouth of the cave before her body weakened and hit the ground. She had tumbled down a small hill and torn every wound open, and Tamlin had drug her back by her hair.

She limped behind Tamlin, sucking in her breath with every step. Lucien trailed behind her, ordered to keep an eye on her while Tamlin led them. When green began to show upon the trees and the chilled breeze grew warm, Aurora knew they were in Tamlin's domain. Any sense of hope had diminished as soon as she was dragged back into the cave, and now, seeing the Spring Court, Aurora didn't believe there would be anyone to save her.

"About an hour now," Tamlin huffed. Aurora gritted her teeth, staring at her scuffed boots as she followed along. She wondered if anyone had found her during their trek and just didn't make themselves known. It was obvious where Tamlin would be taking her, so why didn't anyone try and intercept them?

Her mind reeled with questions. She didn't understand why Azriel hadn't torn the Courts apart in search of her. Aurora had thought at least he would've appeared within the last week. Maybe Rhysand had decided against saving her, had ordered him to stay in the Night Court and chose his Court and family over his spymaster's mate. She didn't doubt it, she had only been apart of their lives for a couple months. Azriel had Gwyn and Elain, anyway. He had probably just pursued Aurora to see if she accepted the bond. She didn't. Not yet, anyway, but she doubted she'd have the chance to.

Aurora didn't want to be his mate. She had lived centuries under the rule of males, and the thought of having a forced bond with one made her sick. She enjoyed the romance, reading of love and sex, but the thought of having something tie her to a male didn't sit well. It had to do with the power the male seemed to hold over her. She'd prefer to fall in love with Azriel, with any male.

When Aurora looked up again, a large estate stood at the foot of a hill. Her eyes widened, had an hour truly passed? The large building had a garden along the back, a stable not far from it. Vines and roses surrounded the front gateway. Aurora limped through to the large doors, Tamlin pushing them open. Lucien was on her heels as she entered.

"I'll take her to her room," Lucien spoke, and Tamlin turned. His eyes were wild, vicious.

"She will not be in a guest bedroom. I will take her to her new room," he boomed. He sounded furious, and Aurora held back the tremor in her hands. Lucien breathed in, about to question him, but Tamlin grabbed Aurora's arm and began dragging her. She yelped in pain, his footsteps much faster than she could bear with her injuries.

They passed the luxurious staircase, the stunning dining room, and Aurora nearly screamed in protest when she saw the door he led her to. It was a cellar door within the kitchens. He reached down and flung it open, shoving her down the stairs. Aurora tripped over her feet and hit the cement ground with a thud.

"No, no," she whispered to herself, feeling the cement around her. At least the Winter Court gave her the decency of a window. This room had nothing. Tamlin didn't shut the door like she expected, but followed down the stairs. The door shut behind him, and darkness swallowed her. She couldn't even see his silhouette. Aurora scrambled backwards, hoping he couldn't see her either. Her back slammed into the wall and she swallowed a scream, his claw marks he had left the week before still terribly painful and leaking blood.  

"I heard of your miserable life before the Night Court took you. I thought I'd let you have a taste of memory before I slaughter you in front of your mate. Be easy on me, Aurora. Take off your leathers."