31

Aurora had stayed in her room all evening, just as Rhysand told her. That's because by the time she finished the second bottle, she was out cold on the bench below her window. She had drank it quickly, chasing the dream of oblivion that Nesta had whispered about. It was there as she stared out into the sunset, but it was gone just as quick.

Aurora woke up curled into a ball against the window. Madja had entered her room to check on the scars after hearing of her training with Azriel.

"Ah, discovered the essence of wine?" Madja grinned as she tapped on Aurora's head. Aurora groaned in protest, moving to turn in what she thought was her bed, but missed the bench completely and toppled onto the floor.

"Madja!" She complained, sitting up slowly. The old fae laughed gently, holding a hand out to her.

"I did nothing but wake you up, dear. Come, let me see those wounds." Aurora accepted her hand and stood, tugging the sweater off and shimmying out of the leggings. Madja ran her warm fingers over the scars and hummed to herself. She motioned for Aurora to turn and she did.

"Your ribs are bruised back here. Avoid falling to the ground when you train, if you choose to continue. Your leg as well, make sure your opponent avoids those spots and all should be well," Madja spoke, straightening. Aurora turned and grabbed her sweater to pull back on.

"Is there a way to make the scars fade?" Aurora asked softly. Madja gave her a sad look.

"I can create a paste to encourage it, but for the deeper wounds, such as your leg, shoulder, and back, those will not fade. The bite marks may, though some are too deep, I'm afraid. Azriel has asked me the same, but I have not discovered a magic that can cure the evidence of the past," Madja explained, running a knuckle on Aurora's cheek. "The emotional scars, you can make those fade. They will always be apart of you, but hide them away from your everyday life. I can see you've already begun trying that." She motioned to the empty wine bottle on the floor. Aurora blushed.

"Is covering it with intoxication the only way? I've seen how they all drink, breakfast, lunch, and dinner," Aurora asked. Madja shrugged.

"Your friends find their own ways to heal. Substance can hide it for a short time, but allowing yourself the bliss of happiness can ensure it stays away. Nesta, for example, used to hide away and drink until she forgot her own name. She'd sleep with strangers and push away the rest of this family that stood as reminders that she would never be like them. Nesta fought for her survival; she trained, found love, found friends. She may not be completely happy, but she has healed an incredible amount. Learn from her," Madja smiled again before turning and leaving Aurora in her thoughts. 

Aurora already knew Nesta's story. It had been described by Nesta and many others. Aurora didn't think she'd find love, not in this house, not if she wanted to keep the rest of them as friends. Elain has shown her enough of that. She could grow closer to those she has yet to enjoy the company of, she could attempt friendship with Cassian or Nesta, or even Elain. Mor and Feyre were wonderful friends, they truly cared for her, but seemed busy compared to Aurora.

With a sigh, she grabbed her leggings and tugged them back on. Her stomach growled and the thought of food was nearly enough to drive her mad. Aurora trudged down the stairs and to the dining room. Shocked to see everyone, she pulled out a chair and sat beside Mor.

"Heard you got into the wine last night. How are you feeling?" Mor whispered, nudging Aurora.

"Very hungry," Aurora responded, piling toast and sausage onto her plate. Feyre sat a mug of coffee in front of her and Aurora shot her a grateful smile as she sipped it. Amren was sat at the table, making Aurora nervous. She had yet to truly meet the intimidating female, and having her stare across the table was not the best way to start the day.