54

Another week came and went. The days went by slowly, doing nothing more than reading, sleeping, or fucking. Azriel left each evening to fly, claiming he needed to stretch his wings. Aurora understood, he was always flying or moving about in Velaris. The clock struck noon; Aurora laid across the couch with a novel. The door creaked open and Azriel walked in, kicking off the snow.

"I think I'm ready to go home," he murmured, leaning over the back of the couch to press a cold kiss to her head. Aurora closed the book and looked up at him.

"What changed?" She asked. Azriel shrugged.

"I've flown over the camps every day now, and today I didn't have to crash land so I don't fly down and slaughter the camp lords. I've had to nearly injure myself each day to make sure I didn't lose control, and today the rage settled into that feeling I've always had. It's not overwhelming like it has been recently," he explained. Aurora's brows furrowed, her hair falling down her shoulders as she sat up.

"You've been flying over the camps every day?" She asked, earning a nod and a grin from Azriel. "That's dangerous, Az. What if you did lose control?" He shrugged again.

"That's why I crash land. Throw myself into the trees and focus on that rather than the rage."

Aurora shook her head, the palms of her hands rubbing her eyes. "Okay, well, if you think that we are fine to go home, I'll pack up my stuff," she murmured, climbing off the couch. Azriel snuck a hand around her waist, his lips on her forehead. Aurora sighed and smiled up at him. As his hand slipped away, she went to the bedroom and began shoving her clothes into the trunk. When she was finished, Azriel tucked her books on the top and closed it. Aurora tugged a coat on and took his hand.

Azriel dragged the trunk out to the front door, his hand waving and the fire falling into smoking embers. He opened the door and led her out into the snow. The sun was shining today, reflecting off the white snow. The blindness it gave her reminded Aurora of her childhood in the Winter Court. A shiver ran down her spine as shadows surrounded them, and then the warmth of the sun touched her skin. No burning snow on her ankles, no bitter wind. Aurora blinked her eyes open to see the High Lord and Lady's estate in front of them.

Stunning in the newly summer air, the grass was green and the bushes and flowers lining the cobblestone walk as vibrant as ever. Elain must have done the landscaping. Azriel tugged the trunk up so that he didn't drag it on the floor and they began walking. Aurora couldn't help but wonder what the reaction of everyone would be when they walk in. Would Rhysand be angry? Did Nesta miss her? Her hands trembled slightly as she gripped the sleeve of his shirt.

The entrance was silent as they entered, and Azriel fell into shadows as he brought her trunk to her room. Within a second, he was beside her again. Aurora took his arm, inhaling the scent of him. He was comfort in every way.  Footsteps sounded on the wood floors and Aurora's heart jumped with each one. Rhys appeared in the threshold of the sitting room, a small child in his arms. The child was holding the collar of his silken shirt, its small wings already lifted and tall.

"Azriel, Aurora," Rhys acknowledged. Azriel stiffened, his eyes set on Nyx. A hint of a smile teased Rhysand's lips. "Do you want to hold him?"

Aurora let go of Azriel's arm as he began walking forward, arms outstretched to the small boy. Nyx turned his head, a tuft of black hair on the top. Aurora couldn't stop the smile that rose on her lips. The boy's sapphire eyes mirrored his father's, wide and shining as he saw his uncle. Nyx stretched out his arm and Azriel tucked his hands beneath the boy's arms and pulled him to his chest. Rhysand crossed his arms with a prideful grin.

"He's grown," Aurora murmured. She had only seen Nyx once, months ago now, and he seemed no bigger than a few months old. At least, that's how he had looked tucked in Feyre's arms. Now he was bigger; the size of a toddler.