57

It felt like hours while Aurora stood beside Azriel. He held his place beside his High Lord and High Lady, just as Cassian did. Eventually, Mor wandered off to the drinks table and began speaking with a female. Elain had been standing beside Nesta and Mor, but slipped back into the crowd just as Mor left. Aurora, still leaned into the side of Azriel, looked up at her mate.

"Do you want a drink?" She asked softly. He hummed as he turned his head to her.

"I don't drink on the job, but you're welcome to go get some more wine," he responded. Aurora sent him a grin, then planted a kiss to his jaw, before making her way to the wine table. Feyre sent her a wink as she crossed in front of the throne, Aurora returned it with a smile. Cassian and Nesta slipped into the crowd, Nesta loudly exclaiming that she wanted to dance. Aurora hadn't listened to the music that played throughout the room until she heard Nesta.

It was a gentle tune, something she didn't expect in the Court of Nightmares. She wondered if Rhysand had ordered the type of music. Aurora filled her glass again, sipping it, and then refilling. Mor was leaned against the wall, an upward tilt to her lips as she spoke to a female. Aurora blushed, remembering what Nesta had told her about Mor. Knowing how much she hated the Hewn City, Aurora was shocked to see Mor willingly speaking to the members.

An icy chill went down Aurora's spine. One of warning, of an invisible threat. Her brows furrowed as she pulled the glass from her lips slightly. Her right hand fell to the dagger on her thigh, fingers curling around the hilt. With an intake of breath, Aurora turned.

Eris was approaching her. His eyes were set on her, the slightest of smirks resting on his lips. Even with the music and voices filling the room, she could hear his boots hitting the floor. The sound matched her pulse.

"Sister, what a surprise to see you in the Court of Nightmares again. I don't recall you enjoying your last visit," Eris spoke as he moved to the table beside her, filling a glass of wine. Aurora's eyes darted to Azriel, who's eyes were as dark as the shadows that surrounded his head and wings. He gave her a slight tilt of his chin, and she swallowed and turned to her brother.

"Bad memories can't keep me from joining events," Aurora murmured. Eris snorted. His hip leaned against the large table as his took a swig of the wine. He glanced over her attire, lip curling slightly.

"Dressed well for your job? The Illyrian bastard's whore, everything out to see," he mused. Aurora snarled as she gripped the hilt of her dagger tighter.

"Why are you here, Eris?" He shrugged in response. His eyes moved over to Azriel, Rhys, and Feyre.

"I'm close with Kier. I reside in the Court of Nightmares at t-."

"I know that. Why are you here beside me? Why bother me at all?" Aurora snapped. Eris turned back to her, his eyes peering at her over the rim of his glass.

"I am only getting myself some wine, Aurora. Just because you're stationed at this table does not mean I'm seeking you out to torture you," Eris responded. Aurora's glare just hardened.

"Go enjoy your night. After that battle, we have no means to speak again, so I'd prefer you forget I exist and leave me in peace," Aurora nearly begged. Seeing his face was a reminder of every situation she had been placed in in the past few months. Eris trailed his eyes over her again, and she knew where he was looking.

"Looks like Tamlin really left his mark. Good for him," he murmured before turning his back to her. Those words cut into her enough to send Aurora into a spiral. A scream of frustration slid through her gritted teeth as she shattered yet another wine glass and unsheathed her dagger. The collar of Eris's finely made clothes ruffled beneath her fist as Aurora grabbed him. Eris let out a yelp of surprise as she tore him backward. His legs hit the table, making him stumble back. He let out a loud groan as his back made contact with the large table.