8

Five hours. Azriel did not return until the early morning, just after midnight. Aurora was still in the crouched position at the foot of her bed, trying to process everything she had learned. Completely enveloped in her thoughts, the knock on her door made her jump.

"Come in," she croaked. Azriel stepped into the room, shadows following in their entirety. He stared down at her for a moment before speaking.

"I will be gone for a few days. I will be following your brother as he visits the Dawn Court and find out why he is trying to track you. It won't be long before he makes his way here. He has a group following him from Court to Court. Will you be okay with Cassian and Feyre dropping in to check on you? And if you'd like to continue training, Cassian is the most available at the moment."

Aurora swallowed, her dry throat threatening to make her cough. She didn't want Cassian around her, she didn't trust him or feel comfortable around him. Azriel was growing on her, but she still did not allow his touch. She wanted to continue to learn techniques and strategies, and Cassian did seem like he'd be best at that. He was the general after all.

"I would like to continue training," she spoke simply. Azriel nodded once.

"Another topic I would like to touch on is the fact that the floor beneath my feet is burnt, and Cassian said that you sent flames upon him. You are from the Winter Court, aren't you?"

Aurora sighed, tucking her sore legs closer to her body. "My true father is a member of the Autumn Court. I wasn't aware of such powers, nor meant to use them against your brother. I was frightened, and he laid a hand upon my back. It just happened, I don't know how. I've never been able to do it before."

Azriel's shadows seemed to deepen, brush against his cheeks and shoulders. "Cassian put a hand on you?"

"Not in a harmful way. I was panicking, I was crouched on the floor and I didn't recognize him when he spoke. He placed a hand on my back to try and bring me out of the panic, but it scared me more. I just shoved away and somehow flames attacked him," Aurora responded, taking in a shaking breath when his shadows fell behind his wings.

"I'm sorry that he touched you. I will speak with him about it before training to make sure he doesn't make the mistake I did. I will be gone for the rest of the week, I'm leaving as soon as we are finished here," Azriel responded. His voice wasn't as frightening as Rhysand's or Cassian's, but each word still held a power over her. A true warrior's voice.

"I understand. I will see you when you return," Aurora answered, turning her eyes to the charcoaled floor. Azriel stood there for a moment before retreating into the corridor and shutting the door.

Aurora didn't sleep that night, but instead stayed in her spot until the sun rose. As soon as it did, she stretched her sore legs out and climbed to her feet. She dressed in the tight pants, but opted for a large tunic to hide her much more than the sleeveless tops Azriel had seen.

When she climbed the steps to the training ring, Cassian was already there. Wings tall and spread, he had his large arms crossed as he watched the sun rise into the Spring morning. Aurora didn't want to speak, not to him. She made her way to the center, where she had been working the past few days with Azriel. Cassian didn't turn as she did her stretches or warm-ups. He didn't glance to her as she did the crunches and push-ups that had her arms trembling.

"You did not eat breakfast," Cassian finally spoke, making Aurora's eyes snap to him. He looked over his shoulder at her when she shook her head. "That was a mistake. I can hear your stomach growling from here. I know you did not eat supper last night either." As soon as he finished his words, a plate arrived on the red dirt, eggs and toast atop it. A glass was beside it, filled with cold water.