44

Aurora woke up before the sun rose. Azriel's arm was latched around her waist, scarred hands illuminated in the moonlight. Her back was to him and his face buried in her hair. She blinked in the dim lighting, memories flooding back to her. While they were bathing, she began yawning and her eyes grew heavy. Azriel had dried her off and carried her to bed. He had slid in behind her and held her against his chest as she fell asleep.

Aurora tried to turn in his grip, but Azriel tightened his arm, tugging her further into him. A long breath escaped his lips and tickled her neck.

"I know, I need to leave before Elain is awake. I'm up, I'm just savoring this," he murmured, voice thick with sleep. Aurora reached down and grabbed the hand that was hooked around her stomach and tugged it up to her face. She laid it between her cheek and the pillow, his thumb running over the apple of her cheek.

"Can't we just stay like this? Can't she just find out when you leave my room with me?" Aurora murmured, kissing his wrist. Azriel sighed and she felt the bed dip as he rested his chin on his hand and his elbow into the pillow.

"I'd like to keep the drama to a minimum. I'll make sure Rhysand knows when I tell her so that he and Feyre can keep an eye on her, but I'd like to let her down easy," Azriel explained. Aurora turned beneath him, her hand resting on his chest.

"You're respectful," she whispered. Azriel scoffed, still cupping her cheek.

"The way I've treated the both of you, I don't think that's true. We still don't know the strength of her powers, so I don't want her to lash out on you. Be patient with me, darling. I'll make everything right," Azriel whispered, brushing the hair from her temple. Aurora smiled up at him, her heart swelling at the sight of the moon lighting his face. He truly looked like a creature of the night, he belonged in this Court.

He lowered his face and Aurora took his hair into her hand, pressing her lips to his. This kiss was more than they had been in the past. Those being fast and desperate, this was a promise. His tongue didn't run along her teeth, but felt the shape of her bottom lip. The way he cradled her face and poured his emotions out into Aurora was enough to make her eyes sting with tears.

This was the moments she read about, the feeling she never thought she deserved. Aurora had always believed she had been born as a joke from the Mother, a creature meant to be tortured and ruined. Now, in her mate's arms, she was a female born to be loved. Aurora desperately clung to his neck, tugging him closer to her. Azriel pulled back from the kiss just enough for their noses to touch, his thumb wiping a tear that had escaped onto her cheek.

He didn't need to ask why she was crying, because he felt the same. His lips touched another salty drop on her cheek, kissing it away. Her fingers remained entangled in his hair as his kisses moved down to her jaw and neck. It wasn't sexual, more of a show of appreciation. Azriel was giving his thanks to her in the best way he knew how.

A knock sounded, making Aurora flinch. Azriel looked over his shoulder as the door opened, Aurora hiding her nude body behind him.

"Az? Looks like our taunting worked," Cassian's voice sounded. Aurora's eyes widened when Azriel's grip on her waist tightened to almost a bruising touch. Her hand moved down to his jaw, her lips ghosting over his chest and shoulder.

"What do you want?" Azriel snapped. His voice was of thunderous death, a promise to Cassian. She imagined Cassian had stilled at that.

"Nesta's looking for Elain, thought Aurora might know since their rooms are on the same floor. She's meant to be helping Nuala and Cerridwen in the kitchen right now." Aurora rolled her eyes at the mention of the female's name.