66

The trek to the estate was long, and Aurora got to the front door as the afternoon dwindled and the sun sank low in the sky. She shoved the door open and immediately was met with laughter and voices. Aurora's ears perked as she silently walked toward the sitting room. It was definitely the trio, but she heard Feyre, and Rhysand. Cassian's laugh boomed, and then a beautiful symphony of her mate's laugh twinkled through the air. Aurora peaked her head into the room to see everyone gathered at the couches and chairs.

Nesta and Emerie were both holding a bottle of wine, clutching their stomachs with laughter. Cassian was beside Nesta, an arm swung over her shoulder with a glass of whiskey in his hand. Feyre was perched on Rhysand's lap, both holding a glass of wine, but what Aurora saw beside them made her throat tighten. Azriel was lounging in the armchair, a bottle of whiskey in hand. Gwyn was sat at his feet, her back rested half on the cushion and half against his leg. Anger bubbled within her at the sight of her mate's past lover touching him, even in a simple gesture as sitting.

Aurora didn't stop herself from walking into the room and making herself known. Rhysand's eyes fell on her first, and he seemed to notice the anger within her because then his eyes fell to Gwyn against Azriel's leg. He sent Aurora a wink before parting his lips to speak.

"Aurora! Beautiful as ever, come join us," he called out, sending everyone's gazes to her. Gwyn's smile dropped, but Azriel's grew. He patted his lap and Aurora made her way to him.

"How was shopping?" Nesta asked, already slurring her words. Obviously her friends staying with the group was means for a party.

"It was nice," Aurora responded, circling behind the armchair and wrapping her arms around Azriel. Her chin rested on his shoulder, arms outstretched and hands splayed across his hard stomach. His wings seemed to tighten around her in an embrace. She kissed his jaw softly.

"Where's Elain and Mor?" Feyre asked.

"They decided to keep shopping," Aurora responded, voice slightly muffled by Azriel's cheek. She felt him smile and lean into her touch. Gwyn had now leaned forward, looking over her shoulder at them. Aurora didn't want to seem rude, but she was tired of Gwyn's small actions towards her mate. She wanted to show that he was hers, and she was his.

Aurora kissed Azriel's jaw again, satisfied when everyone went back to their chatting. She felt eyes on her, but wasn't sure if it was Gwyn or someone else. Az lifted his hand to the side of her head, lacing his fingers into her hair. She smiled against him, inhaling his scent. Everything about him calmed her, even when rage threatened to seep out.

"Come sit on my lap," Azriel murmured, taking his hand from her hair. Aurora hummed and pecked his jaw again before straightening and walking around the chair. She made sure to walk on the other side of Gwyn and placed herself on Azriel's thigh. His hands, still holding the bottle, gripped her waist and tugged her up until she was sat against his stomach and chest. Aurora settled into him, grinning to herself when his lips pressed against the skin beneath her ear.

She had no idea what everyone was talking about, even less when Azriel's free hand looped around her back and his hand settled on her upper thigh over the skirt of her dress. Maybe it was the lingerie she knew was hidden beneath her clothes, or simply the urge to prove her place to the female beneath her, but Aurora loved this moment. She blinked open her eyes to see Cassian looking at them with a lifted brow. Aurora shrugged and placed her hand over Azriel's. Cass rolled his eyes with a playful smile before looking over to Nesta, who was very joyfully talking about a moment earlier in the day between her and her friends.

"So beautiful," Azriel hummed against her cheek. Aurora blushed. She knew his voice was loud enough for someone in the immediate area to hear. Her eyes snapped down to Gwyn, who was looking over at Nesta with a clenched jaw. A sudden pang of guilt ran over her at the sight.