30

Aurora was bruised and sore by the time she left Azriel to do his own training. She had gotten him on the ground five times, but he had taken her down seven. She was still fuming as she unwrapped her hands, pushing through the back door. Her eyes settled on Rhysand, who was in the corridor speaking to Feyre. He noticed her, looked down at her hands, then back to Feyre. He placed a kiss to her forehead and began walking towards Aurora.

"I don't want to talk," she muttered, trying to push past him. Rhysand gripped her arm and pulled her back. Aurora ripped her arm out of his grasp and glared at him.

"Feyre told me what Elain said to you. She has feelings for Azriel and knows about your mating bond. She only spoke out because of her feelings. That's not to say that she wasn't scolded, but do not hold it against her. She still has yet to find her way in this life," Rhysand spoke quietly, leaning his face towards Aurora's ear.

"I don't care. I told Azriel that I will never accept the bond. I'm sick of males holding something over me, and a mating bond is the last thing on my mind. I will not live to give a male heirs," Aurora snapped. Rhysand gritted his teeth and and glared back.

"I understand where you are coming from, but I know how strong that bond can be. Hell, it even made Nesta fall in love with Cassian. Elain is lost in this world and the first sense of reality has been her night with Azriel. She's attached to him, but I kept them apart because of Lucien. Now that Lucien is dead, Elain wants to pursue Azriel," Rhysand spoke quietly. Aurora felt a twist in her stomach, but she stepped back and shrugged.

"I don't care what she does, Rhysand. If Azriel chooses to leave Gwyn for her, that's his own choice. I have no part in this other than using him to train. Please, I need to bathe, leave me alone."

Aurora turned from the High Lord and made her way up the stairs. She didn't like the idea of Azriel with Elain or Gwyn, but she decided that had something to do with the bond. It was primal and made her protective, but she would learn to remove herself from those emotions. She had no desire for a male, especially not the ancient bond meant to fill her with children.

Aurora burst through her bedroom door, groaning when she saw Nesta sat upon her bed.

"I wish to bathe," Aurora muttered. Nesta stood, lifting her chin.

"I wanted to speak with you. No, I wanted to apologize for what I said to you when you first came to this estate. I had no right to call you names because of your desire. I understand that the mating bond is strong, and if you had the chance, you'd be overcome with the desire to take it. Azriel made that choice, too. You don't deserve to be called names for something as natural as that, I'm sorry." The way Nesta's voice stayed cold and harsh made the apology feel insincere. Aurora rolled her eyes.

"Are you apologizing so that Elain seems like the bitchy sister? You called me a whore for the first positive sexual experience I've had in five centuries. I understand that Gwyn would be upset, but Azriel made that choice! It is not just on me," Aurora snapped. She was so tired of talking to people and it was hardly the afternoon.

"Oh, shut up. I'm apologizing because I realize that now! Gwyn has become my closest friend in the past year and I am protective of her. I forgot that you have experienced similar, if not worse, things than she and you've both overcome them. Don't call Elain a bitch, she's in love with Azriel, too. She's upset because the last man she loved decided she was a monster because of what we became. She has had terrible chances with love, she deserves to be upset," Nesta snarled. Aurora scoffed.

"I understand that everything Elain knew was ripped away from her, I understand that she just lost her mate. Azriel has, or had, feelings for her, too. I denied the damn bond, he can choose whoever he wants, I'm not a threat to anyone. I'm pissed about the fact that she said it was my fault that I was kept in a fucking cellar and abused! I didn't ask for Rhys, Cass, or Az to save me, but they did, and now I'm here! I'm lost in this life, too. I have nowhere that I belong without a threat on my life. Can everyone just shut the fuck up?"