45

The wind whipped at Aurora's hair as she stepped past Rhysand. Beron grinned at her, the sword digging further into Elain's neck.

"Beautiful, you look just like your mother. Where is she nowadays, and how have you hidden for this long?" Beron asked, his eyes trailing over her. Aurora cringed at the thought. Apparently Elain had not given the whole story.

Aurora stepped forward again, but grunted when Azriel's hand came out and slammed into her stomach, pushing her back. Aurora gritted her teeth and shoved his arm away. When she tried to walk past him again, Azriel grabbed her arm and tugged her into him.

"Stop it," Aurora snapped. Azriel's nostrils flared.

"You will not give yourself over," he responded, voice low and threatening. Aurora glared at him.

"Do you want Elain dead and the Autumn Court to terrorize this city? Let me go," she snapped, tearing her arm from his grasp.

"Ah, so you're mated to the Shadowsinger. I was waiting when his luck would come. It's a shame your High Lord and partner were so blessed in the mate region, but you, Shadowsinger, you will need to live on without your mate. She's to face Eris when we return, and I don't think she's going to last long. Say goodbye," Beron mused. Aurora glared over at her father, tightening her grip on her sword.

"Let Elain go. She has no part in this, I will join you if you let her go," Aurora bargained. Beron looked down at the trembling female in his grip. Her eyes were still on Azriel.

"Make a deal with me, sweet Aurora. You want to save your friend? I'd like it inked on your skin," he spoke coolly, loosening his grip on Elain, who struggled against him.

"Absolutely not. You already said you'd give Elain for Aurora. If Aurora is willing to join you, you release Elain," Rhysand snapped. Beron turned his eyes to him.

"My daughter has been trained, has she not? If she's to duel with Eris, I'd like confirmation that she won't win. I refuse to have my Court ran by a female, not with your Shadowsinger as her mate. She dies in my Court, or Elain dies here."

"No. Fuck that, I will make a bargain with you, prick," Azriel spoke up, stepping in front of Aurora. Beron's guards did the same.

"A mate so willing to protect his female? But I thought she doesn't need a male to protect her, isn't that what we've learned, Aurora? Isn't that why you're so willing to step forward?" Beron asked, raising a brow to Aurora. She gritted her teeth, shoving past Azriel. He reached for her but she was now hardly a few feet in front of Beron now.

"Aurora, so help me," Azriel warned. She didn't look back at him, palms sweating as she held the sword.

"I will make a bargain only on my terms. Release Elain now, I will come with you to the Autumn Court. I will have my own room in your estate, be treated as well as my brothers, and I will not combat Eris. I deny my chance at High Lady," Aurora said. Beron's tongue ran along his teeth as he grinned at his daughter. His sword swung, the tip of the blade now pressed beneath Aurora's chin. She heard Azriel lung forward, but Rhysand must have grabbed him because no hands came in contact with her.

"Elain, dear, return to your High Lord. Thank you for your help," Beron spoke, slipping his hand from her arm. Elain whimpered and ran through the snow, no doubt to Azriel's arms. Aurora glared at her father, chin lifted towards him as the blade dug into her skin.

"Do we have a deal, father?" Aurora asked. Beron laughed.

"Guess what, child. You've already made your choice. Bargain or not, you belong to my Court and you've made the mistake of coming up to me." The sword dropped from her chin and Beron grabbed her arm. Aurora looked over at Azriel, whose face was made of fury and agonizing pain. Rhysand's fingers were claws now, and he dug them into Azriel's arm to keep him stationed as Elain hugged his midsection.