35

Cold hit their skin as soon as the darkness was vanquished. The sun reflected off of the snow that surrounded them, blinding Aurora as she looked around. This had been her home once, and not a single part felt like it. The cold was irritating; the snow beautiful, yet an absolute discomfort. The shivers that ran down Aurora's spine didn't come from the cold however, it was the ancient sounds of her screams that still seemed to echo in the mountains.

"Come on," Rhysand spoke, tearing Aurora from her subconscious. She hadn't even realize they had still been by her. Rhysand said something to Azriel and he looked as if relief flooded him. Aurora sucked in a breath when he turned and held an arm out for her. "You need to show and prove that you are mates while we are here," Rhysand explained, nodding toward Azriel's arm. Aurora looked up at him as she looped her arm with his. The smile he returned to her settled the anxiety that was rushing through her entirely.

"Does Kallias not know?" Aurora asked quietly as they walked upon Rhys and Cass. Mor followed behind them.

"It's best that the High Lord be under the same impression as his Court members."

Aurora tightened her grip on Azriel as the five of them marched up the grand stairs. Aurora had been here once before, to a dinner party that she had first met Tamlin at. Shudders coursed through her at that thought. The 'estate' was truly a palace. A row of evergreens led up the road on either side and then split around the building. The structure itself was made of a stunning marble-like stone that shone as bright as the snow around it. Icicles that were magnificent enough to only be made of magic decorated the building, making it sparkle beneath the sun.

The massive doors creaked open as they approached it. Two guards stood on either side of the entrance, making Aurora slightly press into Azriel. The sight of their deep green uniforms had bile rising in her throat. The entrance was utterly breathtaking, just as Aurora remembered it. The floors were made of that same sparking stone, but the high walls were painted a variety of greens, greys, and subtle silver embellishments. A large hearth was on the opposite wall, beside a staircase that rounded upward. The fire roaring within soothed their cold skin.

"Welcome, High Lord," a male's voice boomed in the large room. Aurora turned her head to see Kallias and Viviane walking toward them. Kallias always held the look of wealth and power. The two of them strode down a corridor, icy chill approaching with them. Viviane held a bundle of blankets in her arms, making Mor squeal and hurry towards her. Viviane stopped and the two ogled over what Aurora figured was a baby. Kallias still continued to them.

"Kallias," Rhysand bowed his head in acknowledgment, "You remember Azriel and Cassian. This is-."

"Aurora. I've heard much about you," Kallias interrupted. His hands remained in the pockets of his blue and silver coat as he observed her. Aurora loosened her grip on Azriel and bowed.

"High Lord," she spoke softly. Kallias's striking eyes roamed over her, his chin lifting.

"Well, we should get to the dungeon. Cormac is here and waiting, so we should get this meeting with Aldric over with," he spoke, motioning a hand down an opposite corridor. Cassian joined Azriel's side, Rhysand watched them.

"Remember to show power. The dungeon will bring back bad memories, devour them and unleash the strength you've built. Do not let them eat you."

Aurora glanced at her High Lord with a slight incline of her head, telling him she understood. Rhysand gave a look of warning before turning and joining Mor and Viviane. Kallias began leading Cassian, Azriel, and Aurora down a lengthy corridor. Windows lined one side of it, making the white stone brighten the green walls. Aurora didn't dare look around, she kept her eyes on Kallias's back. Azriel placed his other hand over hers as they turned down another hallway. She looked up at him, feeling the whispers of shadows along her skin.