36

As they left the dungeon, Aurora couldn't get the smell of burning flesh out of her nose. These warriors beside her didn't flinch at the smell of sight, they had seen death throughout their lives, had killed countless times. Aurora had killed once, and she couldn't stop shaking. As soon as the door to the dungeon shut, Aurora's knees gave out. Azriel caught her instantly, pulling her into his chest.

"It's okay. He deserved it," Az whispered to her. Aurora wasn't crying, no, her body wanted to give out. Maybe of relief, exhaustion, she didn't know. She clung to him, shoving her face into the scent of him.

"We need to go, Aurora. We need to explain to Rhys what happened in there," Cassian spoke softly, his hand on her back.

"He already knows. I showed him," Azriel told him, running his fingers through Aurora's hair. With a deep breath, she pulled herself from him. Her knees shook as she stepped aside, wishing she could run her hands over her face but she didn't want to ruin Mor's work.

"I'm fine. I just... I killed him," she breathed out, clutching her stomach. Azriel and Cassian both placed hands on her back.

"It'll be okay. Don't break down until we are finished here, you need to keep your composure in front of Cormac," Cassian explained, his thumb running over her shoulder. Aurora nodded and sucked in another breath. She could do that, she could push the memory away. Not the smell, the smell clung to her gown and hair and skin. She wanted to tear it all off.

"I'm fine. Let's go."

Aurora didn't give them the chance to respond as she began walking down the corridor, her boots echoing on the stone walls. The two males followed behind. As they turned the corner towards the entrance, Azriel slipped his hand into hers. Aurora sighed at the comforting contact, tightening her hand on his. She did just as before: Lifted her chin and feigned a bored expression. No one would know the way her emotions and thoughts tumbled and screamed within her.

They approached the entrance and two guards stepped out. Aurora felt her pulse quicken at the sight of them, but Cassian stepped forward.

"We are expected in the throne room," he announced, voice shattering their look of confidence. They knew these two males would overpower them with one finger as they scurried to the massive doors beside the stairwell. They both opened the sides, a glorious room awaiting them. The floors were the same white stone, the walls varying in colors, but behind the colossal thrones was a green wall with gold and silver flecked throughout.

Rhysand and Mor were stood near the thrones that Kallias and Viviane were sat in, the baby no longer in her arms. Aurora's throat tightened when she looked across from Mor and Rhys. Cormac was stood in all his glory, a group of soldiers behind him. He was in a similar uniform to the soldiers, but his was entirely green with golden threads. A sword sat sheathed on his hip, a dagger on his thigh. His black hair was pulled back into a knot on the back on his head, a few strands falling around his naturally darker skin.

Aurora remembered thinking he was beautiful when she was practically thrown down the aisle to him, but now, he was breathtaking. His piercing blue eyes roamed her body as they neared.

"General, your request is being permitted in this throne room, with an audience. Please, do not disrespect High Lord Rhysand or his members in my throne room," Kallias announced. Cormac didn't look up at his High Lord as he nodded. General? Had he replaced Aldric's position? When Az, Cass, and Aurora fell by Rhysand's side, Cormac rested on his knee and held out his hand.

"Dear Aurora, it is great to see you again."

She didn't want to give him the satisfaction of looking afraid, so she brought her hand from Azriel's and stepped forward, raising a brow at him as he took her hand and pressed warm lips against her knuckles.