15

Nesta had held Aurora until Cassian called for them to leave back to the estate. She had talked to Aurora about relationships, sex, her past experiences sleeping with strangers just to feel oblivion. Aurora wondered if that was a way she could get power back to her body; to gain control of who touches her, but still feel pleasure.

When Nesta and Cassian left, Aurora stayed in her room. She tried to distract herself by reading, but all she could think of was what Nesta had told her. She thought of the moment between Elain and Azriel, what she learned of his feelings, and his time with Gwyn. Her chest and stomach ached. Aurora didn't want to go between Gwyn and Azriel, not after learning that Azriel taught Gwyn to be touched by a male in a caring way.

A knock interrupted her thoughts, and Aurora stood, opening the door. Azriel was in the frame, the stench of blood on his clothes. He towered over her, eyes dark and heavy.

"What did you learn of Lucien?" She asked softly. Azriel looked at the window behind her and she watched his throat bob.

"He was the one to tell Tamlin. He's imprisoned in the Hewn City. Rhysand is burning his mind as we speak," he responded in a hoarse voice. Aurora choked on her breath, her hand lifting to her throat.

"So he will be killed?" Azriel shook his head. He leant against the doorframe, hand rubbing his opposite arm.

"No, he will stay imprisoned until Tamlin searches for him. Rhysand hasn't told me his plan after that. I learned something else, though." Aurora's brows furrowed, her arms crossing on her chest. Azriel didn't meet her eyes, his own stayed at the window behind her. "Beron is your father."

Aurora's eyes widened, her lips parting in shock. She was a High Lord's daughter? Her chest rose and fell with panicked breaths, gaze dropping.

"Does Rhysand know?"

"He's the one who ripped it from Lucien's mind. Lucien did recognize Beron's features in you but kept it to himself, he wanted Tamlin to know that information before we did. We all suspected it when you told us of a father in the Autumn Court, especially after hearing about your fire magic," Azriel responded. Aurora felt like collapsing, fainting, throwing up, anything. She lifted her eyes to Azriel, his eyes meeting hers now.

"What comes of this? Will his sons come after me? I don't believe I'm more powerful than them, nor would be accepted by the Court like Feyre is. I'm afraid they will wish to seek my death," Aurora whispered, voice breaking. Azriel lifted his hand, straightening his stance.

Aurora glanced at his hand, and then his eyes. Hers were full of tears- of fear. His hand stretched out, pressing against her back and tugging her into his chest. Her arms wrapped around his waist without hesitation, face pressed into his chest. The stench of blood filled her nose, but she didn't care. There was more on her mind than Lucien's blood on her skin.

Aurora wept against Azriel. His arms were a sense of security in a moment she felt weak and broken. He tightened his grip and she felt his chin atop her head. When her breathing slowed as well as her tears, she leaned back. Azriel kept his arms around her, but looked down to meet her eyes. Anxiety tore at her stomach; his touch had been welcomed, comforting even.

"Does Aldric know? Is that why he wishes to capture me?" Azriel's eyes widened at that question. He hadn't thought of that. If Aurora was somehow stronger than her brothers in the Autumn Court, and if Aldric knew, he'd want to keep her from gaining power in another Court.

"I don't know. We may have to mention this to Rhysand," he muttered. Aurora nodded, pulling from his arms, against her own wishes. She wanted to stay against him, but knew she shouldn't allow more than friendly touch.