60

Aurora had decided to bring Nyx straight to his nursery rather than bother Rhysand or Feyre. The boy was limp in her arm as sleep overcame him on the journey up the stairs. She tugged him close as she opened the door. The nursery was simple, few paintings of Feyre's scattered on the walls, a crib painted to be a midnight blue, and soft furry white blankets within. Aurora laid Nyx in his crib, tugging the blanket up and running a finger through the tuft of soft hair at the top of his head. Utter bliss was all she felt. As terrified of holding him as she had been, throughout the two weeks, Aurora had grown rather fond of the boy.

There was something calming about a child being around; a reminder that though the thought of childhood made her throat and eyes burn with tears, she could help create the childhood she had always wanted for Nyx. He was surrounded by people that would always love him, burn the world down for him, and always make sure he felt safe. Tears pricked her eyes as she leaned against the crib and kept her knuckle against Nyx's cheek.

Aurora had always wished for something like this; some type of family that would make sure she was safe and loved. She had that now, even though she had learned to become brave and protect herself. She didn't need an Illyrian warrior standing at her side to intimidate her enemies, Aurora was the intimidation. Nonetheless, her heart swelled at even the thought of Azriel's name. She had her love, her joy, her safety, and now she could give all of that to Nyx.

"Nesta wanted you to know she and her friends are going to Rita's tonight if you wanted to join them," a soft voice tore her from her thoughts. Aurora straightened, wiping the stray tear from her cheek. Azriel wrapped an arm around her waist and pressed a kiss to her shoulder. Aurora leaned into his touch.

"Okay, I'll go bathe," she murmured. She wanted to spend time with Nesta, but when she thought of who her friends were, it was more than likely Emerie and Gwyn. She'd only met Gwyn once, and that was before her and Azriel were together. Before Azriel left Gwyn. A tremor of anxiety pushed through her.

"He's beautiful, isn't he?" Azriel cooed with his lips still pressed to her shoulder. Aurora's gaze fell back to Nyx.

"Yes, he is," she responded softly. Azriel's hand flattened on her waist and began to turn her. Aurora sucked in a breath as his lips grazed her cheek then met hers. She kissed him softly, as gentle and careful as a first kiss. His forehead leaned onto hers, golden eyes boring into hers.

"I know that we cannot have a child, but I do believe that we could take in the children that lost their families in the war," Azriel murmured. Aurora's breath caught, body stilling. Had he been dreaming of children? Not to mention, why would the Mother fate them together as mates if Aurora could not bear his children? That is the ancestral meaning to mates, wasn't it? To have a pair that would create the best of offspring. Aurora had no Illyrian genetics, she'd never be able to bear a child with wings. Her eyes fell to his lips, the lips that had just spoken to her, and then flicked back up to his. 

"C-children?" She breathed out, a flush of embarrassment rising up her neck at her simple response. Azriel let out the smallest of chuckles. 

"Yes, of course it is nothing urgent, I'd just love to share something like Rhys and Feyre. For now, I'm more than pleased to be an uncle," Az whispered against her lips. She swallowed hard with a nod.  Her heart was hammering against her ribcage and she was sure he could hear it.  Azriel pressed a quick kiss to her lips before stepping back. She sent him a small smile before slipping around him and to the door. Aurora glanced over her shoulder to see him now leaning into the crib and brushing his knuckles against Nyx's cheek. Her stomach twisted again and she turned and hurried down the stairs to her room. When the door shut behind her, she rested her back against the wood and let out a long sigh.