10

It was three days before the group had made it to the Spring Court. Azriel had been sent to watch from above, observe the way they interacted with Tamlin. He was in his beast form when they first arrived onto his lands, but had brought them to his home in his true form. Azriel was fuming that he had welcomed them so easily, wishing he could hear what they said. His shadows stretched out, but nothing returned to him. With a frustrated grunt, he was back in the estate.

"He invited them in. He did some kind of ward, I couldn't hear anything they said," Azriel snapped, wiping his arm off as if it would cleanse his fury. Rhysand stood from his seat, boots scraping the floor.

"I don't doubt that he will mention our Court. He knows nothing, but would send an angry army to our borders just to spite me. I haven't heard back from Kallias, and Mor hasn't returned from visiting Viviane. We will wait to hear from her. Az, just make sure they don't start coming this way," he thought aloud, running his hand along his jaw.

"Can't we just send them to the Hewn City like we had planned?" Cassian added, standing from his own seat. Rhysand nodded.

"We will. If no Court claims Aurora, Aldric may assume she is dead. It may be better that way while she trains and learns of her power."

Azriel gritted his teeth, flicking his eyes to the window. If Tamlin sent that prick to his Court borders, Azriel would kill him on site and claim self

"You're showing your care, Azriel. We will not kill a member of Kallias's lands, especially not a war general. Keep your feelings at bay."

Azriel's gaze shot to his High Lord. "Get out of my head, Rhys."

Cassian glanced between them, understanding there was some type of mental communication that he was not meant to hear.

"Do not speak to me in that way. Keep your fucking shields up, and stop thinking about her. Cassian told me how close you were to her, do not let anything happen until she can handle things on her own. Let her learn and live first." Rhysand lifted his chin, clenching his jaw. Azriel felt his hands close into fists. He wanted to get closer to Aurora, touch her without her flinching.

"Hey, I don't know what you two are talking about, but I need to go. Az, let me know if there's any movement in the Spring Court," Cassian chipped in, tucking his wings as he slid from the room. Azriel kept his eyes on his High Lord, cracking his neck and flaring his wings. Rhysand seemed to understand his tactic, wings flaring up behind him as well.

"Keep yourself stable, Shadowsinger. You are meant to train her, learn of her past and foes, and protect her. Stay on that track before you let anything else happen," Rhysand growled, night seeming to seep from every vein. Azriel felt his shadows mimick his act, rising above and reaching out. He didn't allow himself to get angry with his High Lord often, but he hated how his interest in females always seemed to get slammed down by him.

Azriel said nothing more as he sent himself to the House. He had hardly materialized from darkness before his feet carried him to the stairs.  He went down, down, down, eyes and shadows searching for the one thing he was allowed to have for himself. He searched for the priestess that would let him take her to his room and rid himself of the longing to touch. He needed to curb his rage, and shoving his cock into a moaning Gwyn was the only thing he could think of.

                                  ——————

Aurora was basking in the sunlight as it streamed into the sitting room. She had let her hair fall free, waved by the braids it had been in overnight. Azriel hadn't come to see her since he left with Cassian the day before, but she didn't mind. Her aching muscles were grateful for the rest.