59

A long two weeks had passed, the summer months coming in with full heat. Aurora had been training again with Azriel, Nesta, and Cassian. It was peace, for once. Aurora had finally felt the joy of family. Everyday, she was laughing, enjoying other's company, and simply spending her time with the people she had grown to love. This is what she had been missing her whole life. These days are what the child centuries ago would wish upon the stars for; family and love.

Afternoon settled over Velaris and Aurora was following Nesta back into the estate, both slick with sweat and muscles aching. They had done sword work today and Aurora felt as if her arms would slide off of her body.

"Do you want lunch?" Nesta asked as they pushed through the doors. The heat and workout had her stomach uneasy, and as good as food sounded in that moment, she couldn't imagine adding something to the gurgling nausea. Nesta had to feel the same. They had been training for hours at that point, since the sun had lifted over the mountains. They'd train hard, rest a moment, come up with games to add more interest to the training, and then train again.

"Not at the moment," Aurora breathed out. Laughing sounded from down the corridor and Nesta seemed to follow it. Aurora trailed behind as they reached the sitting room. The sight within warmed her heart. Rhysand was sat in a chair by the window, Feyre on his lap as she held a paintbrush in hand. In front of them was a canvas with a stunning scene of mountains and the House of Wind.

On the intricately designed rug, Nyx was on his belly laughing wildly with Cassian mimicking him. It was a strange sight: A massive Illyrian warrior laid on his belly, socked feet kicking in the air, and a thunderous laugh shaking his whole body. Mor was sat behind them on the chair with her legs tucked beneath her as she watched with a smile.

"Awe, why are you having all the fun?" Nesta feigned a complaint as she fell to her stomach beside Cassian and poked at Nyx's hands. Cassian grimaced and rolled onto his side.

"Nes, you smell horrendous. Go take a bath," he spat. Aurora's eyes widened but her shock cleared when he smiled widely at his mate. Nesta rolled onto her side, too, then threw a fist into his chest. He grabbed at the point of contact and gasped dramatically.

"No fighting around the baby," a voice spoke up. One Aurora hadn't heard often. Amren was making her way across the room and collected Nyx into her arms. Aurora was shocked about that, she hadn't seen the female, well, at all during her time in Velaris. Only twice.

"Hello, Amren," she greeted softly. The female's sharp grey eyes snapped up to hers.

"Aurora," she acknowledged. Aurora felt her pulse quicken, unsure if the tone was of distaste or just general politeness. Amren seemed to notice, because her lips pulled up in a kind smile that looked so strange on her normally annoyed face. Aurora returned the smile quickly, but it fell as she gasped. Cold arms wrapped around her bare stomach and lips pressed into her shoulder. As silent as the shadows that followed him, Azriel had approached her.

"Hello, my love," he hummed into her ear. Aurora relaxed into the broad chest behind her with a comforted grin.

"Hi," she greeted softly. His hands slid across her skin as he pulled back and took her hand into his. Discomfort filled her as he led her to the couch. Aurora felt disgusting in her sweaty training clothes that seemed far too snug now that they were damp. However, she pushed it away and chose to enjoy this moment that seemed so simple in a complicated life. She fell onto his thighs and rested her back against his shoulder. His hand splayed across her thigh in a gentle touch.

"Where's Elain?" Mor asked as she held her arms up to take Nyx from Amren, who gladly handed him over and sat beside her.

"I saw her when I was flying in, she's out in the front gardens," Azriel responded. Aurora leaned her head against his jaw.