69

"I'd like to clear up whatever it is you have against me," Aurora stated. Gwyn narrowed her eyes, throat working on a swallow.

"It isn't you directly. I have been through terrible things with males, so much that I didn't even speak to anyone for months. Azriel brought me out of that darkness, Aurora. Of course I have strong feelings for him and I'm torn apart that I am not his mate, I am not who he chose. Everything was so perfect until you appeared, and now it was taken from me. I don't believe I'd ever love another male like I love him," Gwyn explained, raising her voice. Aurora did flinch this time, only because what she said had brought back the memories of her own past.

"I was mistreated, too, Gwyn. I had to build that trust and accept my past. Azriel did the same for me," Aurora spoke softly. She needed Gwyn to understand that Aurora had experienced something similar, that they aren't so different. To her dismay, Gwyn scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry to tell you, Aurora, but I doubt you went through something as horrible as I did. I watched my twin sister get murdered in front of me because I wouldn't tell them anything about the children I hid. You know what they did after that? Raped me. My innocence was stolen, everything in me was stolen!" Gwyn was shouting, cheeks flushed as angry tears filled her eyes. Aurora felt that emotion, felt herself be choked by it.

"You're right, I didn't have someone I love be killed in front of me, but my innocence was taken, too, Gwyn. Can we sit? I'd love to talk to you about it," Aurora nearly whispered. Her lips shook as she bit back tears. Gwyn's face didn't soften, she lifted her chin as a tear made its way down her cheek. "Please."

Gwyn sucked in a breath. Aurora saw how she contemplated before nodding softly. Aurora walked to the couch and sat with her legs tucked beneath her. Gwyn used the back of her hand to wipe away the tears that fell, and then she sat on the opposite side of the couch in a similar fashion.

"Do you want to go first?" Aurora asked, knowing Gwyn needed to talk about her trauma. She needed someone to listen, and so did Aurora.

"I never thought harm could come to me," Gwyn began, chewing on her lip before continuing, "I was raised in the temple with my twin and my sister. We had a peaceful life, worshipping the Mother. My sister and I were incredibly wild when we were younger." Gwyn chuckled through the sob that tried to escape. Aurora nodded, smiling softly.

"What happened to you?" Aurora hoped her question didn't cause Gwyn to become angry. Her pulse quickened when Gwyn's eyes flicked to hers then back to her hands.

"I was twenty-six. Hybern raided our temple, our home. I did my best to get all of the children through the trapdoor that led to the catacomb tunnels, but if I followed, the soldiers would see me and follow. I stayed in the kitchen, waiting for their arrival. When they came in, they demanded that I tell them where the children went. I refused, of course, and that's when... That's when they pulled Catrin out. They beheaded her right in front of me, two others, too.

"I didn't think those moments could get any worse. I could smell the blood, all of it. The general didn't get enough, though. He raped me. It happened on the table beside my sister's body. The soldiers that had watched decided that they wanted a turn, but before they could touch me, Azriel showed up. Mother, he was a savior and warrior all at once. Those soldiers were dead before I could blink, and he brought me to the library for sanctuary."

They were both crying now. Aurora hid her cries behind her fingers on her lips. Gwyn still didn't meet her eyes, but Aurora didn't need to see them to know the pain they held.

"I'm so sorry," Aurora whispered, reaching a hand out. Gwyn flinched, tucking her arms to her chest.

"Azriel has built me up in many ways. He visited every now and then to check on me in the library. When Cassian began to train Nesta, I joined them. Azriel helped me become a warrior so that I would never need to fear a male again. That's when I became a Valkyrie, with Nes and Emerie. I know I'm strong enough to kill a male, I can do anything now, and Azriel brought me there. He kissed me once during a training session, and from there, he showed me that intimacy wasn't something to hide from. He taught me that the hands of a male don't only bring pain, that they can bring pleasure and love, too."