Chapter 47

Unable to sleep, Maddox's gaze was in a trans-like awe staring at the swirling miniature vortex in the teardrop pendant Raphael had given to Hannah.

" It belonged to my mother," she beamed with a heart-stopping smile he hadn't seen in a while.

When they returned, she continued her training with no issue. She no longer aimed to decapitate Michael or dismember Uriel.

Koda preened and paced with contentment as Mia responded to him finally. It was a non-stop chatter between them the moment training was over and he and Hannah had retired for bed.

"So, what did you and ...your father talk about?" he asked as they faced each other in the shower as he gently lathered body wash over her skin.

She had this calmness to her gaze as she repeated what he had told her about her mother. Her gaze lit up as she mentioned seeing an image of her in the palm of his hand. 

"It was amazing," she smiled. 

He had helped her out of the shower and they dried off and got ready for bed. In his arms beneath the sheets, she lay her head above his chest and spoke to him. She expressed a lot from her heart that had him really listening. She regretted wasting so much time being angry with Raphael, Uriel, and Michael when she could have listened from the beginning and understood that none of this was her father's fault. 

He caressed her back and idly listened as she spoke of what it was like growing up as a Seraph and how now she understood that Michael, Uriel, Anael, Raphael, and even Metatron were more involved with her than she realized. 

A part of him felt happy that this was all hashed out. He was worried that she would never make peace with any of them. He returned his gaze back to the tiny glass pendant. He could not put his finger on why it intrigued him to stare at it but it did. But finally, his eyes grew tired. He turned off his lamp and settled deep beneath the sheet with her and let sleep take over his body.

By the time morning had come, the first shades of light spilled through their window and slowly he opened his eyes. Having her so close and so warm, made his insides come to life. He stretched and slowly she stirred awake beside him and followed. With a smile he let his hands roam the length of her body beneath the sheets. She sweetly moaned and welcomed his touch as he smiled and rolled on top of her then settled gently between her thighs.  Here in the quiet oasis of the room, he made love to her. He took his time caressing and kissing every inch of her while surging into her with gentle thrusts and spine-tingling naughty words as sparkles of light billowed around them until they were both on a mind-blowing release that left them both floating. 

Spent and exhausted they lay there in each other's arms enjoying the way the light from the morning sun danced along their ceiling. 

A sharp knock at the door suddenly interrupted their thoughts. 

"Are you two done in there? Michael, Raphael, and Gaia are here. Something has come up and they need you both downstairs." Brody said through the door.

With a sigh, Maddox groaned and pulled her close. "If we make believe we are not here maybe he will go away." 

"I heard that. and no I'm not leaving until the two of you answer the door." he insisted.

Hannah giggled as Maddox growled then remained silent.

"Hey!!! do you kiss your mate with that mouth?" brody yelled.

With a wicked grin Maddox pulled her beneath him again, " I sure do." he pressed his lips to hers. Slowly the kiss grew passionate and long.

"Hey! come on..." Brody tapped on the door again.

"We should probably get up." She smiled at him caressing his cheeks.

Despite her words, neither of them moved for a few minutes.  Her naked body felt too good against his to want to rush out of bed. Their lovemaking as of late was like a drug, leaving both of them smiley and relaxed as they took their time to get dressed.

She could feel the calming presence of Gaia, Michael, and Raphael as they waited for them in the living room. 

It was still early in the morning, and the rest of the pack house's occupants were still asleep. No one had slept the night before, due to training and preparations for what was to come ,so rest was sorely needed.

Michael regarded them with a solid gaze as they slowly walked in holding hands. The archangel wasted no time leaping right into it. He must have known what they had just finished doing,  as Gaia smiled and lowered her gaze looking away from Hannah's glowing look. As Uriel and Raphael exchanged uncomfortable stares. But they said nothing.

Mortals and immortals alike having sex wasn't anything new to Archangels who regularly spent time on Earth. 

Their ability to see through buildings and objects made it too easy to watch what they thought of as hidden. 

"Word has come to us from celestials in New York, Los Angeles and Texas, that more and more light beings are being killed. Last night, a coven was attacked. As far as I could tell, there were no survivors. Every man, woman, and child has been vanquished."

Hannah went pale, and Maddox could feel his own face drain of blood.

"There are other celestials like us in those cities?" Hannah asked.

"There are," Michael replied, voice grim.

"Celestial watchers, that have been on this plane for centuries, sent to watch over covens and other enclaves that hold both light and dark beings."

Anxiously Gaia stepped close. "Will the elders finally allow angels to act and defend the mortals? Because it seems clear that the demon king and his demons are  making some kind of grand play."

Uriel and Raphael grew angry. It was the first time Hannah had actually seen them display that emotion. Annoyed and frustrated, yes, but not anger.

"The elders will forbid us from intervening regardless of what the Demon king is doing. They don't believe there's a serious threat as long as they don't gain entry to our plane. They think they can just sit back and watch and that they can tilt the balance back any time they want." Michael said.

"So, It's up to mortals to figure things out on Earth themselves?" Maddox scoffed shaking his head.

"It seems that has been the way of it for a millennia. Nothing has changed." Gaia stepped closer with a saddened gaze.

Raphael cursed. It was madness. "What do they think we're here for? If angels aren't meant to shepherd humans and protect them against the demon King's demonic grip on them, then why do we even have celestial watchers?"

"It gets worse. It seems the demon king is very much aware of our roles and what we are not allowed to do. Therefore he has called forth all manner of dark powers to do his bidding."

Hannah frowned. "Is that even possible? "

Uriel grimaced. "They have the direct help of one particular high-ranking demon angel. That enlisted his own army and they are creating what will be a massive uprising, which will send pulses of dark emotions through the world. Think of what happens when a Dark spirit interferes with your emotions, the decisions it pushes you to make. It will influence otherwise decent and normal humans into making bad decisions that harm others, tipping the balance further to the Dark."

Hannah felt a shred of fear. If the Demon king could pull that off, it would change things. Celestials would be in an all-out war and battle for mortal hearts and may succeed.

"That would spell the end of the influence of good on Earth." Hannah gasped.

"We won't let that happen," Gaia stepped close to her and caressed her cheek.

"That is why we have you. That is why you have been training for this very reason. You are the key to bringing him down." Gaia squeezed her fingers with assurance.

It was her destiny.