Chapter 8

He had been tossing and turning with frustration. The storm that was sweeping through town, in a blink of an eye, was getting worse. News reports were useless as most weather stations were puzzled at how it built up so quickly out of nowhere. As if it were unexpected.

Alpha!....someone was knocking...

"Alpha!" the knock came again.

With a low rumbling, exhausting growl, he lifted his head off the pillow and glanced over to his clock.

3 am.....

"Just great," he mumbled slowly sitting up.

He could smell 'worry' in the air as his Beta continued to pound on his bedroom door. Standing he went to it and swung it open to peer down with annoyance at Caleb.

He said nothing as Caleb informed him that their security was breached.

"Why not take care of it yourselves, Caleb?" his lips thinned.

True, he was the Alpha and needed to be on point. But, he seriously needed sleep. Since his 'little' predicament disappeared out of thin air, he has had barely a good night's sleep since.

"Joey and Holt went to check the perimeter, but we need to double check," Brody joined them.

Maddox narrowed his gaze. His sense heightened with their high strung awareness. With a quick nod, he takes the lead, and they follow him towards the steps and out of the house.

On the back porch, he looked out through the darkness and tilted his nose up; sniffing for any sense of danger. But the rain and wind made it difficult. They were shortly joined by four other wolves that had woken up due to the commotion.

He turned to look at Caleb and the other four wolves.
"You five shift. Split up and search around. If you find anything. Mindlink. I don't want whoever got in, to get the advantage of an attack," he ordered.

With a nod, they began shedding their clothes and jumped from the porch, shifting into their wolf forms and taking off.

"You and I will take the South end. Hopefully, it's just one of the animals out there that tripped the alarm," he turned to walk away with Brody.

He gave into all of his senses as they walked, scanning the area for anything that didn't belong.

The thunder and lightning grew stronger and tense with an unforgiving downpour of heavy rain.

~Alpha, come quickly to the west end. You need to see this...~
The worry in the Mindlink had him sprinting forward through the thick brush of foliage with Brody right behind him.

He quickly jumped through another brush skidding to a halt just as the faint familiar scent hit him. His gaze shot over to four of the five wolves hovered around the other on the floor.

"Shift..." he heard the gentle plea from Caleb. It was the only way a shifter could heal.

They cleared the path as he slowly approached.

He looked up to Maddox worried.
"She...isn't human." perplexed and confused, he shook his head. " I can sense it but... she isn't shifting."

It was her...

Soaking wet, she lay unmoving on the ground. Her scent mixed with blood swirled around him. Koda reacted immediately.

He stepped closer and knelt beside her. His chest tightened. Blood pooled near her shoulder, mixing with the puddle of water she was near, and it drove Koda up the wall with desperation.