Chapter 10

Control!

It's what he was struggling for the moment he raced to her side and held her; then placed her back in bed.

The rhythmic pounding of her heart and the overwhelming scent of panic, fright and then pain had his wolf careening over the edge clawing his insides up to take over.

The moment their eyes met and held the intense gaze, he felt Koda pushing through. He fought to keep the beast under control as he spoke to her.

And when she did......Sweet Mercy! Her voice was like music to his ears. The most meek and softest thing he has ever heard.

"I fell"...she had told him...

The words spilled from her lips without thought but truthfully because he could sense it.

A faint smile curved his lips as he tried to calm her. Koda didn't like her scent of sadness and pain.
Help her!... He growled.

For a while, he battled in his mind about what to do. The more he stood so close to her, the quicker he was losing himself in those eyes, the stronger he wanted her which was not an option right now and Koda wasn't cooperating.

"Our mate reeks of the forest."  Koda paced impatiently. He was aware of it too. But he could still smell her sweet scent beneath it all. She held his gaze with a hint of fascination as he argued with Koda that ignored him completely but was so intrigued with her.

"You must want a shower? " he managed to say.

He needed to get her a couple of inches away. He needed to calm Koda down. He held out his hands for her. Her fingers small and soft, gently landed in his rough large hand; it sent a tingle up his arms. With a deep breath, he managed not to growl as her touch caused something deep inside him to stir.

He could not have turned on the shower any quicker and left the bathroom. Relief washed over him as he closed the door and leaned against it.

A brief unwavering moment of silence had him completely involved in a heated conversation with Koda until the scent of anxiety and panic pulled him to attention. Then she called out to him.

The rapid pounding of her heart all but deafened him. He rushed into the bathroom and cursed as he watched her shivering under the shower still wrapped in the bed sheets. He quickly turned it off and pulled her out of the tub. She trembled fiercely clutching the ice-cold wet sheet to her, then she let it fall.

She stood shivering and naked before him. His breath catching on the sight of her glistening bare skin. Abruptly, he looked away and reached for a large fluffy towel and covered her.

*******

Now he knelt before her, kicking himself mentally and repeating her name.

Hannah

He let her name roll off his tongue and felt the way it caressed him internally and had Koda's tail wagging.

Mate! He panted with appreciation.

Behave or I walk away! He threatened Koda.
The stare down for dominance was won by the Alpha kneeling before her.

By then as he held her gaze, he was the epitome of control as he spoke.

"My name is Maddox."