Chapter 34

"She needs you. But mankind will need her more."

Those were the words that Goddess Gaia told him before she disappeared into thin air two night ago.  Her words spread repetitively in his mind as he stood behind Hannah, wondering on the outcome of what's soon going to take place.

"I don't understand why I must do this, " Hannah said softly as she turned to face him.

Her soft brown eyes rose to his. Confusion and angst to just leave were there in their depths.

"Especially with him here, " her brow pinched into a frown as she looked over her shoulder.

He followed her gaze and they settled on Rafael in the distance, dressed in regular clothing. He was in awe of how the archangel, void of armor and wings, looked so normal in jeans and a T-shirt; despite the fact that he could kill them all where they stood with just a wave of his hands.

Maddox sighed and turned her chin gently around to look at him.

"He needs to be here as your...., " he paused briefly looking over her shoulder.
"As your ...focal point, and to teach  you how to fight," He swallowed looking over her shoulder at Rafael.

He felt conflicted with this decision but she needed to do this.

"To fight?" Her eyes rounded with worry. She frowned and shook her head.

"I'm...I'm a Serap-" she began to say then sadly she corrected herself.

"I'm an angel, I'm benevolent. I don't know how to fight, " she looked up at him and watched his eyes sparkle as he smirked.
" You sure about that?" He murmured.

She shyly looked away.

"I seem to recall you knocked me on my ass with a huge ball of white light," he chuckled as he lovingly tucked a loose curl behind her ear.

"That was forbidden, " she said sadly.

He frowned. "Why?"

"During her punishment, Metatron forbade her to use any of her angelic abilities on this plain." The baritone voice of Michael interrupted them.

They turned to face him. He looked over at his niece that refused to hold eye contact with him.

"Hannah?...." He began.

She ignored him.

"Let's be done with this so that I may leave, " she stepped forward and brushed past him.

Maddox could feel her annoyance as he followed behind her. But Michael just as fast reached for his arm and stopped him.

"It is best that you do not get close, " he warned Maddox.

Koda slowly growled and crouched in anger.
Maddox snatched him arm away.
"I think we're good, " he snapped.

"Don't say I did not warn you," Michael huffed as he stomped away in another direction.

He slowly made his way towards her as she silently stood a few feet away from her father.

"It's imperative that you remember that during your training, we can not use our powers, " Raphael said softly.

"But won't they be expecting that? Do you really think that Dante and his kind will fight fairly?" Maddox asked defensively. He was kicking himself to ever agree to this madness.

"We have our strength. And of course...certain weapons, " Raphael nodded with a sad smile. "But that is for a new day to discuss.  So, for now, hand to hand combat will suffice," He said stepping forward.