Chapter 3

"We need to make sure the perimeter is of both the North and South end of the land is secure," his expression bellied his tone. There can be no room for error.

They've been having a number of rogue sightings in the past month. Far too many for his liking.

"I also want traps laid out on the West wall and training increased," he added.

He knew deep down, that won't ward them off but the training was in need. He needed his pack strong and on their A-game.  It would at least slow down the enemy and warn the next pack of rogues from crossing his territory.

Ever since his father stepped down as Alpha, Maddox had become an opponent eager for challenging the coveted position by other packs. But none have succeeded. Many have tried. Too many to count, but in the end Alpha Maddox Payne proved victorious. Its not as if really fought tooth and nail to be pack leader. It was a birth right forced on him that he later accepted.

He tried numerous times to shirk the responsibility. He even left the pack a few years back trying to prove his father wrong. The need to go out into the world to make something of himself without the collective of shapeshifters to string him along, was something he held onto.

Then, his father fell ill. It was not the best timing in the world he thought with guilt. But at the time, at the highlight of his career and being owner of his company, his father needed him. He had to assume his rightful place as pack leader and he needed to toss in the towel of the corporate human world. The two just could not mix.

So, for the last 4 yrs, he had proven to all, that he was the right choice for Alpha and he was here to stay. He would never forget the proud look on his father's face when he had returned.

"Now that you have returned, maybe it will be easier to find your mate," his father pointed out.

He stiffened. He .....hadn't put much thought into it ...sadly.  It was known that he should have found his mate years ago. But as time passed, reality of the bitter truth set in. He was not destined to have one.

Fück it! He didn't need one anyway. He couldn't afford that type of luxury to settle down with one to be honest. Not with his chaotic life anyway. With Rogues running loose, Wolves from other packs blood thirsty for his position and Vampires getting bold and posing a threat, he simply did not need the distraction.

Besides he was not the poster boy for the best companion as so it's been rumored. He doesn't do friendly. He is anti-social with things that did not pertain to pack business.

His thoughts had drifted off until suddenly the temperature around him dropped slightly and the air charged and shifted than made his skin prickled.

A low growl escaped him.

The peeling laughter around him suddenly died down. "Alpha are you okay?" the concerned voice of Caleb, his 2nd in command leaned forward with a puzzled gaze.  Maddox slowly stood from his chair. His action immediately sent the pack members in the circle into an alert state. 

His nostrils flared at the faint teasing scent that filled the air around him... of something....sweet and alluring. He felt his wolf stir and it's primal instinct to shift and hunt the scent, kicked in.  An odd sensation coiled in his stomach. The light shimmery touch of something warm and soft grazed his arm. He turned to look but nothing was there.

Then, his eyes began to glow. His pack all carried a distinct scent. Hints of the meadow and woods they lived near followed by an appealing fragrance. But, this scent lacked those markers. It was floral, but beneath it all was the faint taste of honey. An odd scent for a wolf. The intriguing thought had his wolf pacing and barely containable.

"Alpha!" Caleb called out to him in a panic as Maddox growled and sucked in a ragged breath that did little to calm him. He fought for control.  Then just as fast as the scent was there, it suddenly disappeared leaving him unsettled.

He sat riveted to the spot the moment a jolting ache formed in his chest.  He frowned. 

His jaw clenched at what he was feeling. He felt irritated with this sensation of something unknown. He looked around to each of them suspiciously as they stepped back wearily.

"Don't tell me none of you sensed that?" he pinned them with his gaze one by one.

Puzzled they looked at one another shaking their heads. Caleb stepped closer to him.

"Maddox, are you-" his concerned gaze held the irritated look of his Alpha and he quickly shut his mouth.

Maddox felt his shoulders tense, at their panicked looks. His teeth clenched. "I'm fine." The hairs on his skin prickled and stood on end with what just happened.

Silence fell around them all as they stood and watched him look around. His nostrils flared as it sniffed for the scent but found nothing. Annoyed, he turned away and left them all where they stood. Puzzled and confused.

He tore through the house from the front porch in large domineering strides towards the back until he cleared the patio door and stepped out on the deck. He drew in large gulps of air forcing his muscles to relax. Mentally chastising his wolf to calm down as well but the truth is he too wanted to be free.

He needed to run.

His skin itched and burned with the need to change nipping at his heels. Without a second thought or moment of hesitation he jumped the banister and in mid-air his wolf emerged, black as midnight. Fates he has never felt this way before.

His wolf dashed aimlessly through the woods; the trees flashed with a blur before his eyes. His heart raced wildly in his chest enjoying the adrenaline rush until he reached the edge of a large lake bordering his lands.

He shifted remaining on his hands and knees; staring at his reflection on the watery glass surface. Perplexed with what had happened to him earlier. The thought still burned with worry on his mind. What the hell was going on with him?

His shoulders slumped in defeat as he reached in to the water and splashed his face with its coolness. He relaxed on his back then and stared up to the dark sky.

Mentally he sought answers to his question amongst the stars...

Goddess what is happening to me?

*****
And here we go my peeps....
So sorry for posting late but I'm reluctant with posting rubbish as you know....
So stay tuned...
Don't forget to comment, Share and like...
Much love 💘