Chapter 23

"We need to bring her back."

The words echoed in the silent room around him. He could feel their gazes upon him.

"Metatron forbids it," Uriel stepped forward to his side. His eyes were trained on the vision before him.

His chest tightened at her pleas as she paced in anguish; yelling up to the skies begging to let her in.

"She needs us," he turned to look at the archangel at his side as he too watched Hannah pace and weep.

"Please answer me," she sunk to her knees and hugged herself.

"We can not intervene," Uriel insisted.

Raphael swirled around to face his brother. "In case you have not noticed or felt it, she is suffering."

Frustration ebbed on his senses as he saw that there was no persuading Uriel.

He had come to the throne room the moment her cries pierced his dreams. Unable to leave, he sat by helplessly watching her continue to fly past the realms entry. But the invisible blockade would not let her through.

He had never known an angel to be so stubborn and resilient but then again she was just not any Angel. He swallowed at the lump in his throat as her last attempt left her exhausted as she plummeted to the ground below.

He watched her lay there in tears on her back; wings spread, begging them to forgive her.

For what?

None of this was her doing.

Guilt swarmed through him as he realized that now. He shut his eyes and looked away but then noticed he wasn't alone when he turned to see Uriel and Gabriel behind him.

They watched her and exchanged silent gazes as she frantically began to ask questions.

"You said it was forbidden for us to be seen. Yet your statues are everywhere,"
She blurted out furiously.

"He tossed her out without a second thought," Raphael shook his head. His voice trembled with fury at what his oldest brother had done.

"He had to," Gabriel said.

"No! He only had to speak to her. Forbid her to go near the mortal."

"Do you believe she would have listened? By all that's holy there is not an obedient bone in her," Uriel scoffed shaking his head as he turned to face the veil that showed the images of her.

"So we just let her wallow in her pain and confusion is that it?" he confronted them.

They remained silent staring at each other.

"She disobeyed us. Now she must suffer the consequences of her actions." Michael's voice pierced the silence.

The crude truth rubbed Raphael the wrong way as he turned his head to watch Michael walk into the room. Nothing but power and confidence rolled off of his older brothers stride as he entered. Raphaels jaw clenched.

"Of course you would say such a thing. Being the prodical lap dog and all," he bit out sarcastically.

"Do not take that tone with me Rapha," Michael warned.

"I would not need to if you would set aside your damnable pride. Yes! We get it. You are Prince and Commander. But..," Raphael stopped.

He watched as the others stood silent with a mixture of worried and understanding eyes. They looked from Michael then to Raphael.