Chapter 44

"Alpha, I think you need to come to the cellar. It's Danté. He doesn't look well."

"Give me a sec. I'll be there shortly."

A brief silence followed before the wolf spoke again.

"He is asking for our Luna."

The sad tone in the wolf's voice alarmed Maddox some.

He tightened his eyes shut and buried his face in Hannah's soft curls and he drew her closer as she slept at his side peacefully. She had returned moments later after their argument and he apologized. He was really never one to back down from a fight or.... an argument. But their's was potent. It had Koda on alert with Mia crouching into position and ready to take him down. And it frighteningly had him ready for the challenge. With all their training as of late, she no longer seemed like the sweet, delicate Angel that he found long ago. Now, she resembled an angel like her father and uncles. Ones to be reckoned with.

Ones that could smite and kill.

And that somehow terrified him.

He drew in a deep breath and pressed his lips to her forehead before carefully pulling away. Whatever was going on in the cellar he did not want her to be aware of it.

He shut the door and quickly made his way downstairs where he met Brody at the foot of the staircase.

"Bro, it's not good," he shook his head with a saddened gaze.

Maddox paused and faced him.

"What do you mean, What happened?" Maddox frowned.

"I ...don't know. Yesterday he was different. today he seems....much older, more feeble."

Maddox held his gaze in thought.

"Maddox, he is aging fast. I think Danté is dying." Brody admitted sadly.

With a brief glance up the steps, Maddox stared upwards trying to sense Hannah and felt relieved that he didn't. He nodded and continued out the door with Brody at his side.

They had made their way to the cellar into the holding cell where Danté lay on a cot.

Maddox strolled slowly towards the aging vampire in disbelief. He slowly knelt at his side and gazed at him as his eyes slowly opened. They were no longer luminous and bright.
He did not understand what was happening. Maddox couldn't figure out why Danté aged so quickly. He understood up to a point of what Hannah's blood could do to a dark being but...this was shocking.

Danté's eyes opened slowly and settled on Maddox. For a while, they stared at one another before Danté spoke.

"I know. I'm worse for wear," A light breathless chuckle followed with his feeble voice.

Maddox looked towards Brody.

He shook his head and turned away slowly.

"Alpha..." Danté slowly tried to sit up.
In that instant, with haste, Maddox reached over to help him.

The two faced each other in brief silence before Danté began to speak again.

"I know all of this has become a shocking occurrence. Believe me, no one is more surprised than what is happening to me than ...me myself," Danté chuckled again lightly.

For a while he remained silent as Maddox's gaze; a mixture of pity and sorrow held his.

"It's the consequences of my actions, Maddox. I cheated death for centuries, I thought myself indestructible and my arrogance cost me everything," Danté said.