Chapter 25

"Absolutely not!"

His answer was final. It was not up for debate. Even when those brown eyes rounded with sadness and begged him, the answer was no!.

"Please!" She pleaded. Her eyes pleadingly filled with tears, held his stern gaze.

His jaw clenched. He wasn't ready for the waterworks but he would have to deal with it.
What she asked was dangerous and could very well get her exposed. He could not risk that. He should have known better that, that was what had her down and a bit gloomy.

She wanted to fly.

They had taken the day to walk through the forest. Enjoy the mid-day sun. It was the first time he brought anyone to join him by the lake. He swam and introduced her to the water. Waist deep in, he pulled her close and taught her how to relax and float. She was a natural.

When they finally stepped out and sat on the embankment to enjoy the warmth of the sun, he could sense her anxiousness and need. He held her soft gaze for a lengthy moment as she fidgeted and continued to look up at the sky with longing. And that's when he asked her and with an eagerness she told him.

I want to fly
The idea although wonderful and exhilarating did not hit him until she leaned up and removed her tank top and was ready to spread her wings. Mesmerized by the fascinating view of his mate flexing her shoulders ready to take flight, sent a shiver of lust through his entire body. Then he snapped to attention and stopped her. 

"You can't Hannah," He slowly helped her ease the tank top over her head and down over her shoulders and her torso.
The crestfallen look on her face melted him.

"Why?"

"It's too dangerous, someone can see you," He tells her still smoothing her tank top over her stomach.

"But I can...use my cloakin..." She lowers her gaze and suddenly goes silent. The innate confidence in her abilities wane. A slow growl threatens to erupt from his chest sensing his mates' vulnerable unease. He just as quick stops himself. The need to please, comfort and protect her blooms in his chest.

The sudden pulse of agitation within her had both he and the beast in him rising to attention.

"I am forbidden to reveal my true self, im cast out for my disobedience and I can not fly. What am I to do then?" She frowns lost in her thoughts.

"Hannah?" He reaches for her.

She pulls away and scrambles to her feet and begins to walk away. He reaches their things and follows her up. "Hannah."

She ignores him and paces away. Her shoulders hunched, her head bent like she’s thinking hard.
Abruptly she stops then and turns to face him. The scent of her tears and frustration hits him before he sees them.

"I am Seraphim. I am of the highest order yet I am not able to do anything," Her tears fell and her temper was slowly flaring with a hint of petulance and that surprisingly had Koda's hackles rising.

A wave of pride and fierce need to dominate his mate flooded through him. His body tightened. On a deep terrifying level, it excited him to see this side of her.

"Understand Hannah, you simply can't. It's not safe," his voice came out sounding more like a growl than anything and it made Hannah flinch with fear.

He cursed not wanting to frighten her.

A silent pause swept between them.

Her eyes rounded with sadness and it tore him up in the worst way. He needed to explain to her the dangers of what their abilities will come with if they were exposed.