Chapter 16

Miranda. Who was she? Hannah pulled away as he stood and turned to face the female standing at his door.

Hannah shifted so she could see around Maddox's shoulders but he would not let her. Instead, she sat on her knees and got a clear view of the female as she stood with her arms folded over her ample chest.

"I heard the rumors, but I thought it had to be a lie. After years of saying you would never take a mate."

Mate? Hannah frowned.
This female seemed upset, Hannah lowered her gaze. She knew her male intimately it seems.

"Miranda.." he began.

"You wouldn't give us a chance. You refused to have any type of relationship and I come back to this," she pointed accusingly at Hannah.

"Let's not do this here," he fixed her with a cold glare.

"Why because you don't want your precious mate to know what type of a prick you are?"

"Watch your mouth," he growled.

"We were never together, Miranda. It was one night."

"So what's changed. Is she your mate? Is she the new Luna?" she folded her arms over her chest fixing him with a square gaze.

"Like I said. Let's not do this now."

Hannah met Miranda's gaze and did not like what she saw. She wanted to disappear using her transparency but she couldn't.

She held his angry stare. Before she growled furiously.

"Don't get too comfortable, bitch," she hissed giving Hannah a furious stare before turning on her heels and storming off.

His muscles flexed along his jaw as he began to go after her, but he refrained from causing a scene.

He stood there for a while in silence with his back still turned to her. She could feel his anger slowly dissipating before he turned to face her. They silently watched each other.

He held her gaze for a short while trying to hone in her mood. He sensed and smelled just confusion and sadness. That was more than enough to make him find Miranda and make her return to apologize.

"Are you still hungry?" his voice rumbled.

She said nothing. Just the slow nod of her head was her only answer.

He gave a curt nod back and held out his hand for her to take. She slowly stood and walked towards him and placed her hands in his. He pulled her towards the door but she immediately stopped.

He looked down at her. The V of a frown formed between her brows as he watched her.

"Male?" she paused shaking her head. A perplexed look followed. "Maddox," she paused.

"What is a mate?" she asked softly looking up to him.

He said nothing but turned to fully face her. He pulled her closer. He contemplated on the full version of explaining it. Or a short concise answer just to placate her curiosity until he can get her to tell him what she is.

"A mate is...a companion. A sort of ...Consort," he said;  searching for the words to best explain it as he watched her face change.
"It's like a life-partner," he whispered carefully.

She seemed satisfied with the answer. "Am I your...companion...Consort?" She looked down and searched for the other word. "Your...life-partner?"

He slowly nodded feeling the slow electrical current getting stronger with their joint hands.