Chapter 29

Her head ached. The sensation is nothing she has ever felt. Groggily, her eyes opened. Her vision was blurry, unfocused and it hurt so much.

With a whimper, she slowly sat up. The bed she lay in shifted and immediately her hand went to her stomach as it dipped and rolled.

"It's nausea," a male voice broke the silence.

She moaned and held her thumping head in her hand before looking up to the darkened corner where the voice came from.

She took a deep breath. The sensation of emptiness in her mind alarmed her.
Why did she feel this way?

She looked around. Her mind, a foggy mess, took in the unfamiliar bedroom.
She panicked.

"Where am I?" She asked.

Silence was her answer.

"Why am I here?" She pressed for another answer.

"You are here..." The voice began, "Because you are needed."

She listened as the voice grew closer and out of the dark corner a man appeared at the foot of the bed.

"You?" She gasped inching back in fear. She began to tremble as he inched closer and sat down at her side.

"Hello little one," he smiled.

His familiar face beamed with a jovial grin that could weaken any human. His eyes sparkled with mischief as he reached up and caressed her cheek.

She went still with fright and shock as she felt the burning heat of his touch.

Pearly white teeth flashed as he settled close to her.
"From the look on that pretty face, I take it you know who I am?" His voice rumbled.

She swallowed and nodded.

His expectant gaze held hers. Waiting for her to answer. But she couldn't.
"Go on say it." He urged her to.

She licked her lips and pressed further back against the headboard. His stern gaze held hers.

"Say it!" The finality in his tone demanded it.

"Apollyon," she whispered.

Flames slowly licked at his irises in satisfaction. Indeed, she did know who he was.

She recoiled further away from him. The sheets tangled in her grip pressed to her chin as her eyes filled with tears.

"I take it that my dear brothers' nighttime stories of me were not good were they little angel?" He snided before reaching for her and pulling her close.

She did not answer.

He chuckled. "Who would have thought I would be spoken about or remembered?"

She swallowed as he slowly glided his thumb up to wipe a falling tear off her cheek.
"I have probably been described as a monster," he murmured.

She could not respond. She dared not.
Of course, he was a monster. She heard stories about him. Horrible ones.
He was the Angel of death and destruction.
And he was here...

"You're scaring her," another voice joined in as the door clicked shut.

He lowered his hand from her cheek and stood slowly to face the intruder.

The moment the figure stepped closer and revealed himself, relief filled her immediately and just as fast she jumped off the bed and lunged into his arms.

"Danté," she whispered, burying her face in his chest.

She trembled like a leaf in his hold. He felt helpless and guilty that she would run to him. He felt something he could not describe but it was familiar. It was something he hadn't felt for centuries as he jerkily wrapped his arm around her.
"I see you two have already met," Apollyon smiled.