Chapter 19

She sits quietly as Nikki gently combs her hair while listening to her as she gives her valid reasons as to why Maddox is acting this way.

"He is trying to protect you, you're his mate," Nikki smiles at her through the mirror.

She was his mate. His life mate.
The words so foreign and unknown to her. Celestial beings did not have lifemates.

Did they?

She lowered her gaze as the challenging question in her mind brought on so many more; that she did not realize Nikki was finished until she told her to look up.

She glanced at her reflection. Her hair a shiny mass of ringlets was long and cascaded down past her collar bone. She wore the strange waxy film over her lips Nikki called lip-gloss that made her lips seem wet and shiny.
She did not like it and wanted to wipe it off but Nikki begged her not to.

She finally stood and was suddenly floating on the high heels Nikki managed to get on her feet. Never has she ever walked in such odd things but they made her look taller. Balancing in them although was a tiny task she mastered as she walked around her room.

The dress was the most challenging yet. It barely covered anything yet it was sparkly pink and beautiful. She did not understand the phrase Nikki used and why the creator was mentioned when she stepped back to look at her.

"My God! You're gorgeous you are gonna knock him on his ass." she smiled brightly.

It was an odd saying but Hannah brushed it off all the same then turned to look at herself once more.

The drive to the festivities she did not like at all. They had gotten lost.

She suspected that the woman named Siri, Instructing Nikki to 'turn left' and 'signal lost' was to blame. She wanted to return home. This was overwhelming enough.

After the long harrowing drive, they finally made it. And with great relief, she stepped out of the car and felt him. Whether she wanted to admit it or not. She was anxious to find him.

And she did.

She noticed the change in his eyes, the way he stared at her from across the room. It was as if he wanted to devour her. He closed the distance and pulled her to him. It was so right, so natural. She sensed his movements and her body followed as they seemed almost to glide across the dance floor.

"Are you still mad at me?" he whispered. Courage rose in her chest and she held his eyes with her own, savoring the indescribable feelings that coursed through her body.

"No."

He held her tight and gently, moving back and forth. They danced five times. She began to look into his eyes, wanting him to kiss her.

He held her tightly until the music stopped. "Let's sit for a while," he said, rubbing her fingers.

He pulled away and held her hands while pulling her along to sit near the bar. He motioned for the bartender to come over.
"What'll you have?" he asked Maddox.

"Get her a Sprite and I'll have another cold one," he said.

She watched him then slowly turn to her.

He inched closer to her and gently leaned in to brush a loose curl away from her cheek. The gesture made her feel warm all over. "You look beautiful tonight, Hannah," he murmured.

She gazed into his eyes, reading a mixture of emotions that took her breath away.
"Thank you," she replied softly. "So..do you."

He smiled.