Chapter 41

He paced back and forth restlessly, waiting for her to wake up. Minutes turned into hours, hours into days. And on the 3rd day, she did. It seemed like he waited forever for her to finally open her eyes again. Their brown depths shadowed with confusion as she stared up at the ceiling, blinked heavily trying to focus.

She looked around slowly and her eyes landed on him. His back was turned to her as he looked out the nearby window.

"Maddox?" Her voice raw from no use called to him.

She slowly sat up noticing she was naked and clutched the sheets to her breast as he slowly turned to face her. He stood, tall, dark, devastatingly handsome, and tense.

"What happened?" She looked up at him as he slowly walked towards her and sat facing her.

"Danté brought you back here unconscious." He said.

She frowned. Her eyes blinked a couple of times trying to remember.

He leaned closer to her and the relief of not sensing any changes in her from Danté's bite washed over him. He wanted desperately to pull her into his arms but his anger would not let him.

"Do you remember being with him, " his jaw tightened.

Slowly everything that had happened began to form in her mind. Danté, his touch, his kiss and then he...bit her. The awareness of Maddox's gaze made her fidget.

His fingers rose up and brushed her hair away from her temple and slowly over her shoulder then over his fading bite mark on her neck.

"And he left you with a personal gift, " his mouth tightened more. He looked down at her with a feverish molten light in his gaze. He held off the growl threatening to rise up in his chest as her gaze glazed over and her fingers crept up to her neck and lightly brushed over it.

He waited before her for several seconds before demanding in a hoarse voice, "Well?"

He was looking at her, waiting for her to say something, but all of her words had withered the moment she looked into his eyes.

She could feel and see his inner wolf pace in restrained anger. "Maddox, I'm..." Tentatively, she tried to caress his jaw but he just as quickly looked away from her.

"Don't, " he shuddered violently and sat there staring at a distance before standing and walking to the window.
Her heart was turning over with pain for what she had done.

"Why did you let him get that close to you, why did you let him kiss you?" His voice was deep. Dark.

She remained silent unable to say anything as she watched his muscles flex. Grasping for some sort of control.
He tightened his eyes shut as the echo of her pattering heart drove his into it's own frantic kicks in his chest.

Her frail body just days ago, a haunting image in his mind now stood inches away from him trembling with panic. But the image that played the most in his mind, that weighted like an anvil on his heart was when Danté brought her limp body back to him. He fed on her, left his mark, and admitted to kissing her. And she did nothing to stop it.

He turned to face her. "Answer me, " he snarled slowly walking towards her.

She flinched with his tone and lowered her head. Guilt of the worse kind grew within her. Large hands cupped her chin and forced her to look up at him.

"I thought I had lost you. I wanted to destroy everything in my path the minute I saw you in his arms, lifeless and drenched in blood, " his voice trembled.
His emotions unchecked flooded her. The raw pain too much to understand and endure. Her vision blurred with her tears as he continued.
"Imagine how I felt when he told me that he kissed you, " his mouth twisted with a cruel grimace. " And you did nothing to stop it." He wrenched her up until she was on bended knee before him.