Chapter 43

"You don't have to do this," He gently squeezed her fingers to get her to look up at him.

Nervously, she nibbled lightly on her lip and slowly looked up into his eyes. 

"I must," she said softly.

"No! you don't," he insisted.

"Human lives will be in peril if I don't do this," she said.

"Say's who, Hannah? Human lives have been in peril since the dawn of time."

She lowered her head and sadly looked away. He dropped his hands and inhaled a deep breath before turning away himself to look out the window. 

He had pulled her away from Raphael and Michael in the Livingroom so that he could talk to her alone. Their arguing had escalated to insults as she stood there between them. Helplessly she pleaded with him to not argue but he was so upset, he couldn't see reason or understand.

"No matter what I decide. This won't go away. I have to confront him." she stepped closer.

"This is suicide." He shook his head. 

He wouldn't turn around to look at her. He couldn't. He was so upset. 

"Maddox...Please understand..."

"Understand what, Hannah? That you are willing to put your life on the line without considering US?"

"It's my destiny."

"And you're my mate that's destined to be with ME, I don't give a damn about the rest."

"You're being selfish...." 

"And you're being stubborn and naïve," he turned to face her then. 

Angry amber red eyes held hers and she just as fast straightened her spine and tilted her chin to meet them. 

His heated amber gaze  held hers as they slowly began to glow to their own beautiful violet hue. A part of him admired her show of willfulness. As of late her backbone was showing and he enjoyed testing her. Dangerously testing her limits. Koda delighted in  Mia's spirit just as much as Maddox enjoyed Hannah's growing courage but that streak of petulance she has developed, riled Maddox up. She held his stare with a daring one of her own, challenging him. The beast within him wanted to growl at her, pin her down and make her submit.  But he held back.

The emotions coming off of her were too heightened and intense. Their locked gazes conveyed their carefully controlled anger. He felt his canines beginning to elongate in response to the gorgeous light forming around her. The mesmerizing glow drew him close as his gaze lowered to her lips. He felt the anger and darkening thoughts within him recede just a little as the light from her reached out to him. Her scent and calming warmth lulled a soft growl from his throat as she reached up gently and pressed her lips to his.  Possessively, he pulled her closer and dominated the kiss. He could feel her trepidation that was bordering fear and sadness. And something else. That something was a hint of ....Defeat.

He broke away from the kiss slowly and stood back to look at her. 

He could feel her thoughts.  He could hear them. 

She stood her ground, bolstering herself , attempting to make herself strong for what she was about to say to him.

"I have to do this, Maddox. I don't think I can live with the idea of us being happy or safe with The Demon King threatening innocent lives."

"So, What? You risk your life and our bond?....Is life without me that easy to imagine because I sure as hell can't imagine mine without you?" It was a harsh question and just about the most unfair one yet. but he wasn't looking to play fair. The Morai weren't playing fair. So why should he? 

Tears slowly began to form in her eyes as he began to step back. Koda's rage with each passing second was growing. 

"I can live knowing that you are safe, that our pack is safe and every being on this planet is safe." Her brow creased into a frown.  Confused she watched him. "Isn't that what's important?" 

He chuckled but humor was no where to be found in it. His jaw ticked as he lowered his head. The violent feeling within him wouldn't let him close the distance between them. Because if he did, he would take her and run. Hide her even against her will if need be to keep her from doing such madness. But deep down he knew they would find her. And that pissed him off.  He wanted to lash out. Bite something. KILL something. He could feel his eyes changing. His beast was fighting for control.  

" What's important, Hannah, is that you don't die while trying to save humankind because so will I and the rest of this pack will be helpless."

She frowned. "That won't happen."

"How can you be sure?" He furiously shouted. She flinched.

"If you have such little faith in me, then why do you want me to be your mate?" She cried out in anger. The tenseness in the room grew as she confronted him for an answer. But he was not quick enough. His lack of a response hurt. It angered her so much that a wave of it  rippled in the air and brushed over him. It triggered something in him that made him react but before he could reach for her to pull her close, another wave of her emotion pushed him back. He stumbled some from the force of it and watched her walk away. 

"Hannah we aren't done talking," he followed her.

But just as quick she whirled around to face him. Another gush of her emotion shoved him back. "We are for now." she said.

He scoffed and stood back in awe of her outburst. 

He never thought that she would show this side of her but then again it was her wolf really because Hannah was not like this. Head strong and defiant. She was too pure to be any different. He looked up and watched the empty door way. He could still feel her and smell her scent as it traveled out the door. To go after her would only incite another argument if not push her further away into another reckless decision.

He drew in a deep breath and turned towards the window. His gaze followed her as she slowly walked towards the forest. he wanted to go with her but the way she was upset he wouldn't chance it. he shook his head and tightened his fists at his side. He felt helpless. He felt angry. He was pissed that Michael and her father would agree to this. 

"No matter how much you disagree, she will do this any way," The soft feminine voice broke him from his thoughts. Her scent right away brought his Alpha wolf forward and had Koda kneeling. 

Gaia...

He lowered his head in submission and in shame of sorts. Because he was supposed to be the epitome of a valiant, and fierce Alpha. But his mate had rendered him weak and soft. Or that's the way he felt at least.  

She chuckled and stepped close to his side and stared out the window with him. For a while they stood in silence before she spoke.

"I understand the conflicted emotions you feel. It is in our nature to be dominant and feared." She paused and smiled. "She challenges those traits in you. It does not make you weak in any way. In fact, She draws on your strength. Being here in this realm for as long as she has been, she will need it." 

He turned to look at her. His mind whirled with questions. Too many to chose in which to ask first. But before he could speak she stepped close and gazed in to his tormented eyes that slowly glowed amber red.  "Calm your troubled mind, my child. All will be right with the moon and our days will shine bright once again. You will see." 

His skin prickled and the most relaxing sensation brushed over him that Koda immediately lowered to his belly and fell asleep. The cryptic message deep down to his soul both alarmed and calmed him. What did it mean?

What did it mean......

Hello My lovelies

I am so sorry that i have not posted a story update in months. Its been a hectic couple of months, from getting in to my new position and traveling daily to and from work. by the time i get home, mommy duties kick in and im swamped with homework, cooking and light cleaning. 

But here we go...

Hope you enjoy it.