Chapter 40

She was finally placed in their bed after Gaia and Nikki cleaned her up.

"Her breathing is back to normal. But she has not woken up yet."
Gaia mentioned as she left him alone.

Maddox sat at her side and tried mentally reaching out to her but he couldn't. Her fingers lay cool and clammy in his hands as he pressed his lips to them. He fought for control the moment he saw the pinpricks of Dantés fangs on her neck.

He bit her and fed off of her, the son of a bitch. It took all of 3 wolves, Michael and Brody to tackle him to the ground to keep him from killing Danté.

Tears flooded his eyes with the thought of nearly losing her. His scent, although slightly faded, still lingered on her skin and it burned his gut with disgust. He did not understand. If she had the ability to defend herself from him, why didn't she?

So many questions whirled in his mind with what happened and he was not going to get them from her. Not like this.

He stood and began to pace. He felt impotent and furious that he could not protect her.

"How is she?" Brody asked standing at the door.

He turned to face his cousin. To hide his emotions from him was useless because every Wolf on the compound was feeling it. The doubt, the anger, the sadness. His pain and fear more than ever.

"Her..." he paused and looked at her in the bed. "Her...color is coming back. She's breathing better."

Brody slowly stepped forward.

"He umm..." Brody stopped to look away from her. His unchecked emotions matched the rest. To see her like this was heart-wrenching. "he wants to talk to you."

A low growl formed in his throat as Brody finished talking. His skin prickled as his fur was threatening to shoot out from his skin. Koda wanted out. His teeth slowly pricked the surface of his gum. Tightening his eyes shut he fought against the wolf. Dominating him until he cowered down and walked away.

"What does he want?" Maddox's voice was a raw mixture of his and Koda's.

Brody lowered his head. Instinct overpowered his devotion to his cousin. His Alpha was present.

"He insists to only speak to you."

Maddox flexed his shoulders. His gaze landed softly on Hannah's sleeping form before he turned to walk out of the room.

He needed answers.

As if the devil were on his heels, he took large quick strides through the house and stepped outside towards the cellars until he reached the stall where Danté was being held.

"Leave." He growled with anger. "NOW!" the alpha voice echoed throughout the cellar. The vibration shook the walls that the soldiers jumped and walked away.

The slight clink of chains broke the silence in the dim-lit room.

"Maddox I..." Danté spoke.

"Don't...I suggest you think very clearly on what you are about to tell me," Maddox warned him.

The chains rattled again. followed by a brief silence.

"How is she?"

Maddox let out a humorless chuckle. "You have some nerve asking that, considering the fact you are the reason she is like that."

"I did not mean to..." he began.

"Yea, well what were you meaning to do? Spite me by hurting her? Turn her over to your demon king?"