Chapter 11

He was facing a full-fledged inquisitive hellion.

"Don't. touch. anything," he warned with an exasperating perplexed look.

It was the 15th time he mentioned the warning that seemed to disappear into thin air the moment her eyes lit up with awe and caught something new of interest. To touch.

"What is that?" she gasped inquisitively reaching for it only to have him swear underbreath with a groan and run up to her and pluck it out of her hands.

"That is not a toy," he murmured tossing the can opener back into the drawer.

It was clearly obvious and bright as day the moment Nikki brought her down to the kitchen, that she honestly did not know anything about common kitchen utensils or equipment. It puzzled him. How could she not know?

"Oh! Male what is this?" she gasped again reaching for the buttons on the blender.
The moment she pressed it, the grinding noise startled her. She shrieked and rushed to him in fear burrying her face into his chest.

With an umph he caught her to him. With a hiss he clenched his jaw with the awkward embrace that felt so good. With words of assurance he tried to calm her then pressed his hand over her ear and reached with the other to turn it off.

With his arms outstretched he stood still; waiting for her to uncurl her fists from his shirt. A warm shiver of appreciation swirled down his spine as he lowered his gaze to her petite form clinging to him, then she slowly pulled away.

She looked away from his hot gaze as she stepped back. He caught her timid smile before her teeth tugged away nervously at her bottom lip.

He swallowed down the growl that threatened to erupt from his throat.

"Please don't touch anything," he said again. "Understand?"

With a slight nod, her curls bounced. She began to fidget under his gaze as she peered up into his eyes, so much swirled in their depths..Intrigue, Fascination...Curiousity.

"Alpha?" One of the pack members stepped into the kitchen with a folder in hand.

He looked over to him and acknowledged him immediately.
"I got the copies you needed to sign," Mark handed the folder to him.

He reached for it and distanced himself from her towards the table quickly taking the pen and signing it.

"Let me make a copy of it and we will fax it over to Alpha Jaxon of the Red Ridge Pack." he began to walk off but stopped to turn to her then as she hadn't moved away.

"I will be right back." he looked at her. "Behave!" he leveled a stern finger at her.
She blinked with frown. The expression alone was adorable and it had Koda's tale wagging.

"Got it?"

She nodded her head coyly but her eyes sparkled with genuine innocence and ....something else he could not put his finger on. It worried him.

He wasn't gone for but a few seconds before another pack member knocked on his door and poked his head through it with a sheepish look followed by a cough.

"Um Alpha? We have a situation in the kitchen." He coughed again.

"Ah hell," he muttered, walking out of the office into a smoke filled kitchen as a bright flash and pop echoed around them.

With a curse he pulled her away, he delved through the plume of smoke and yanked the plug to the microwave.

Now standing in silence and choking smoke, he turned slowly to face her. He barely heard the pack member apologize for leaving a foil wrapped pop tart on the counter.