Chapter 31

They needed answers.
She needed answers.

She was in danger.....

Her heart pounded behind her ribs. The overwhelming sensation of their presence behind her as she faced Maddox  left her feeling uneasy. Nervous.

She grabbed Maddox's arm.
"I don't want to do this without you, " she whispered, tears trailed down her cheeks.

His eyes were glowing red in the moonlight with Kodas presence at the surface. He cupped her face gently and rubbed her tears away slowly with the pads of his thumb.

"You're not. I promise. I'm not going anywhere," She shivered hearing his distorted alpha voice filled with warning then his gaze fell on the four-winged warriors standing behind her at a distance.

She lowered her gaze and nodded, rubbing her cheeks into his palms.
She turned slowly to face them.
The warmth at her back was her assurance that he wasn't leaving her side. He stated that much the moment the Archangels  landed in the forest.

Somewhere in the back of her mind she could hear Mia. But she was more intuned with Maddox's reassuring words.

She stood there for sometime watching Michael and Raphael in a heated discussion before he abruptly turned away from Michael.

A comforting warmth spread over her as Raphael slowly approached her. It was settling the nervous fear within her. Her gaze lifted to his.

It was strange. Sadness clouded his features as he stopped before her. She could sense and feel grief, melancholy and sadness. So much sadness that she felt the urge to reach up to him.

And she did.

Out of all the Archangels, he was the only one that ever showed her patience and understanding. Leniency with her awkward ways.
It was different.

His gaze suddenly turned rheumy, watery and red. He reached for her hands and held them in his. Such a gesture struck her as odd.
The air around them quieted. It slowly grew tense that her skin prickled.

His eyes took on a vibrant glow as he stared at their joined hands and a single tear fell down his cheek.

He shook his head. A smile that didn't reach his eyes formed on his lips.

"You look so much like her, " he whispered.

She frowned then in confusion and looked at him.

"Raph-!, " Michael called to him in warning once again.

He shook his head; ignoring his brother. He needed to do this.

They fought and argued about all of this for centuries. Until only moments ago before they had landed, he had told Gabriel and Uriel everything. The truth that ate away at his heart for so long. With so much anger and hurt, he remembered that day as if it happened only yesterday.

"Artemis?" Michael shouted as he paced.

"What have you done? Have you lost your mind?" He turned to face Raphael.

"We are in love. "

"No. No. No. Rapha. You can't do this. It has to end, " Michael gave him an angry glare as he continued to pace.

"I. Love. Her., YOU.. can't do this to me, " Raphael argued.

"It's out of my hands, the elders already know. You know it is forbidden."

"She is not a human."

"Nor is she of our kind. Understand what this could mean. She is the daughter of a deity beyond our realm. They know nothing of our existence."