Chapter 20

It had been a week since Hayley's surgery. Sam had been doing everything for Hayley. Cooking for her, cleaning the house, helping her get in and out of the shower, taking her to her physical therapy appointments. She was grateful for his help and loved him for it, but at the same time she felt guilty. She felt like she was a burden on him. She couldn't bend her knee enough yet to up and down the stairs, so she'd been living on the living room couch. It was early in the morning. Sam had just walked through the door carrying groceries.

"I'm home." He said. He hadn't told Hayley but he loved saying that.

"Hi."

"After I put these away we have to get ready to go to your physical therapy."

After two hours of physical therapy Hayley and Sam had just gotten home. She could walk but very slowly and she limped.

"How do you feel?" He asked.

"Really sore."

"Lay down, I'll get you a pain pill." She laid down. He brought her in a pill and water.

"Thank you." She kissed him.

"You're welcome."

"I'm gonna take a nap."

"Ok."

Several hours passed.

"Hayley." "Hayley." Sam said softly. She opened her eyes. "Sorry to wake you but I want you to be able to sleep tonight."

"What time is it?"

"Five o'clock." "What do you want for dinner?"

"Cheeseburgers."

"Ok."

After dinner the watched movies and played cards. Hayley yawned.

"Tired?"

"Yeah." "I'm so sick of this couch."

"Here, grab onto my neck." She did. He picked her up like a bride and carried her upstairs. He gently put her on the bed. "Better?"

"Much better."

"Good." "I'm gonna sleep in the guestroom." "I don't want to accidently bump into your knee when I'm sleeping."

"Will you lay with me until fall asleep?"

"Yeah." He cautiously got in bed next to her. She snuggled up to him.

"I've missed this closeness."

"Me to."

"I love you Sam." "I don't know if I've thanked you for everything you've been doing, but thank you." "I feel bad about everything you have to do."

"I'm doing this because I want to, not because I have to." "I love you, I'd do anything for you." "You don't have to feel bad about anything." They kissed.