Chapter 45

Hayley had tried to get ahold of Sam but couldn't figure why his number wasn't in her phone. She thought everyone around her was completely insane. The next day she was in her room waiting for the doctor to come in with the results of her nerve damage test. Her legs were still tingling and burning The doctor came in.

"Please tell me good news." Hayley said.

"You have severe nerve damage." She said. "The good news is I can give you medication to manage the pain."

"When can I get back in the ring?"

"I don't think you'll be able to."

"You just said you can give me medication."

"To ease the pain, not take it away." "With the physical exertion you have to maintain in your job, it would just exacerbate your pain." "With or without medication."

"So you're saying my career is over?"

"Yes." "It would be next to impossible for you to continue."

An hour later Sam had just arrived at the hospital. Just as he was about to go into Hayley's room the doctor stopped him.

"Mr. Ratsch, before you see Hayley I need to inform you of her condition." She said. "She is suffering from retrograde amnesia." "She has lost two years of her memory."

"How long until she recovers?"

"There is a very good chance she may never." "You need to convince her it's 2025." "She thinks it's 2023 and she will not listen to us."

"I'll try."

Sam went into the room.

"Sam." Hayley said happily. "I'm so glad to see you." They hugged. "These people are crazy." "They're trying to tell me it's 2025." "They say I got into a car accident because of drunk driving." "You know I would never drink, ever."

"Hayley it is 2025."

"No."

"Yeah." "I wouldn't lie to you." "See, look at my phone." It had the date, time and year on display. Hayley got confused when she saw a picture of herself as Sam's screensaver.

"Why do you have a picture of me as your screensaver?" She said confused.

"You don't remember." He said just now coming to the realization.

"Remember what?"

"We used to be a couple."

"A couple of what?"

"Together Hayley." "You were my girlfriend, I was your boyfriend."

"What?" She said in disbelief. "No, no."

"Yes."

"But you're my best friend." "I could never be with you like that." "It would be way to fucking weird." "How long?"

"It would've been two years next month."

"How long have we been broken up?"

"Two months."

"Wait, that means that we've had...

"Yeah."

"Oh god." She said completely mortified. "No." "Sorry." "It's just the thought of doing that with you." "It just seems so wrong." "I'm just very particular about who I do that with."

"I know I was only your second." "You were nervous about it our first time together."

She ran her hands through her hair. "Jesus, just hearing you say that is creeping me out." She noticed her palm tattoo. "No way." "I have a tattoo, of your name."

"I have one to." He showed her his.

"I hate needles."

"I know." "It really surprised me when you got."

"I'm so confused." "I'm scared Sam." "To top it off." "I have nerve damage in my legs, and I can't wrestle anymore." She said tearfully.

"Baby, I'm sorry." He hugged her. He felt bad for her. He planned on helping her through it. He knew it wasn't her fault but it hurt him that she couldn't remember the times they spent together.