Chapter 43

Hayley was found and an ambulance was called. She was rushed to the hospital. The hospital had no idea who to contact because no one was labeled as her next of kin. With no other options they decided to look through her phone for any family members.

Sam was getting very worried about Hayley. She was supposed to accompany him to the ring for his match tonight. It was coming up soon and she still hadn't arrived. He knew she'd never blow off a show and something was wrong. He went and found Britt.

"Have you seen her yet?" He asked worried.

"No."

"When did you talk to her last?"

"This morning." "We had breakfast."

"Was she upset?"

"She seemed very confused." "She told me about what happened last night."

"Did she seem drunk?"

"No."

"After my match I'm going to the police."

Twenty minutes later Britt's phone rang.

"Hello?" She said.

"Hi, may I speak to Britt?" A woman's voice said.

"Speaking."

"This is nurse Baker." "I'm the head nurse of the ICU trauma center at Memorial Hospital." "Are you of any relation to Hayley Barnes?"

"No." "We're friends."

"Do you know how to reach any of her family members?"

"She doesn't have any." "She was orphaned at twelve." "What's going on?"

"There's been an accident."

After getting off the phone Britt ran as fast as she could to the Men's Locker Room and frantically pounded on the door. Austin answered it.

"Woah, what's wrong?" Austin asked noticing how worried she looked.

"It's Hayley." "Is Sam in there?"

"Yeah." He went and got him. Sam was just finishing dressing. He went out.

"What's going on?" Sam asked.

"I don't know all the details but I just a call from the head nurse of the ICU trauma center at Memorial Hospital." "Hayley was in a car accident." Without saying anything Sam took off running out of the building.

He drove to the hospital as fast as he could. A million thoughts were going through his head. None of them good. A doctor came out to talk to him.

"Are you here about Hayley Barnes?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Are you her husband?"

"I'm her ex-boyfriend." "She has no family." "Was she drunk?"

"Yes." "Her BAC was .17." "A water bottle containing vodka was found at the crash site." "She suffered severe head trauma." "Her brain is swollen." "She's on life support." "We can't be sure yet but there could be nerve damage to her legs." "Amazingly there were no broken bones but she has multiple contusions and some deep cuts on them."

"Please tell me she'll make it."

"If the swelling goes down her brain, yes."

"If it doesn't?"

"Eventually she will become brain dead."

"Can I see her?"

"Right through there."

Sam went into her room. Her head was bandaged, as were her legs and she had a blue tube in her mouth. Seeing this Sam started to cry.

"No." He said tearfully kneeling down by her bedside and holding her hand. "Hayley, please, you can't do this to me." "You can't leave me." "If you come back, I'll never bother you again if that's what you want." "Just come back, please." "I love you."